Builds Frog Truck build/use thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, with help from this forum, I bought a 2006 GX Sport a few weeks back as a 2-for-1 work 4x4 and family wagon. I've done a few small things already and have a long list of things to come, mainly limited by my time.

Done:
timing belt/water pump, steering fluid flush, air filters (desperately needed)
minor repairs to correct some interior flaws
seat savers so kids' car seats don't ruin the leather

image.jpeg

Oops, I wrote a long post from my phone and most of it went missing. I can't edit (thanks spammers)!

Welcome. Cool color on your GX. What plans do you have in store for your GX?

Trying a copy-paste of lost text:

Ok, with help from this forum, I bought a 2006 GX Sport a few weeks back as a 2-for-1 work 4x4 and family wagon. I've done a few small things already and have a long list of things to come, mainly limited by my time.

Done:
-timing belt/water pump, steering fluid flush, and radiator hose replacement at Toyota dealer
-new air filters, wipers, and hood struts
-Weathertech digitals for 1st and 2nd rows
-minor work to correct some interior flaws
-seat savers for kids' car seats
-contacted nearest Lexus dealer to get dash replacement ordered
-4 new Cooper Discoverer A/T3s in stock size

To do:
- DIY (?) tie rod ends swap (Proforged on order) and alignment at shop
- fresh plugs, MAF cleaning, and oil change to Mobil 1 (all materials in hand, just can't afford downtime or distraction ATM)
- stereo mod to gain more Bluetooth capability
- hardwired and tucked power supply for V1
- water- and puncture-resistant seat covers and dog friendly cargo protection
- aero bar style rack mounted to stock side rails for boats, box, hi-lift
- go through suspension to try to keep KDSS etc in order
- clay bar and synthetic wax to preserve excellent paint
- delete mud flaps yet somehow protect rear quarters from gravel missiles
- fresh diff, transfer case, and transmission fluids
- diff breather extensions
- replace steps w/ KDSS-compatible sliders
- add lightweight underbody protection (rocks shouldn't happen much where I take it)
- constant upkeep for safety and reliability as a family hauler
- any mods that will improve performance without compromising safety and reliability

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

love the color, one of my 3 choices

OK, with my previous truck still not sold, my better half has co-opted the GX as the family DD. I got a Yakima aerobar setup on the roof for when I "borrow" MY truck for a trip coming up. I picked up a mini-hitch off a wrecked 4Runner to install at some point if I don't find a stock 3-point hitch. A buddy and I replaced a leaking CV seal and I changed the diff fluids to Mobil 1. During the differential job, we noticed that both front OEM shocks are leaking and the driver's rear is a rusty mess. I'm not pleased with the ride in the truck at all, it's rough even on the softest setting. Then I saw it sitting unevenly and spent an hour messing with the air adjustment sensors to get it to even out. Passenger side setting is set as low as it will go and driver side as high as it will go without touching the tie-rod style parts of the adjusters. I figure a suspension overhaul is in order ASAP but funds are tight: I've already put lots into the truck and my previous one is still sitting around. I like the idea of the adjustable damping but I have never used the stiffer setttings due to the already rough ride. I care less for the self-leveling airbags. It's a KDSS truck and I have no plans to lift it (I have it as a family hauler and sandy or muddy terrain work vehicle).

I need to come up with a plan and parts list. My goal is a balance of solid comfort and handling on the highway with durability and OEM or better performance offroad. For the moment I'm thinking about three shock/strut options: scraping to get new OEM adjustable shocks (about $1200 in parts), OEM FJ Cruiser or 4Runner shocks, or Bilsteins. 2004 GX470 - Replace AHC without lift?. After that I might go with a Metaltech airbag delete/coil conversion at stock height GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Complete Kit, which doesn't include the springs themselves. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks,

I think you could do an OME or Bilstein for the money you want to spend, maybe a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom