Frickin' greasy under there. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alexanderimaging.com
This is an odd question, but here goes. 1 yr owner of a used cruiser, I'm in Cali, bought it with 40k in Lynchburg Virginia from a family friend. Had it thoroughly checked out prior to purchase, and again recently by Gary Kardum at Mudrak custom cruisers in napa, clean bill of health no probs etc etc.

Last weekend, put on all my OME goodies and extended some breathers and found a few things. First off, the entire underside of this thing is coated in a layer of black tar grease crap, I noticed this before, just not really the extent of how filthy it is. It was never wheeled by the PO,, but will be by me.

No leaks on my driveway, no drips, have had it one year, I do see some spray leakage type stuff around the drive shaft in the middle of the rig, behind the center dif. as if pressure has sprayed some stuff out the sides a little. Like stuff shot sideways and burnt itself onto the muffler section behind the 2nd cat. Also there does seem too be some slight ooze out of this center dif as well. right where the seal would be, where the 2 halves come together. pardon the terminology, my fsm I just bought is at home and I'm a little green on the mechanic side.

I'm thinking about having the underside cleaned, (steam?) as it looks like a heck of a messy job that would gum up my driveway permanently, so I can isolate where the filth is coming from. Or coud it have been some fresh road/asphalt that the PO drove on. Seems if there was a leak that could cause this much crud, I'd see some drips on my driveway in the past year.

any advice? it's a 97

Photo_Cruiser,

>> Like stuff shot sideways and burnt itself <<
>> onto the muffler section behind the 2nd cat <<

Sounds like the PO had the driveshafts lubed. That's good, not bad.

If you don't have leaks and your fluid levels are OK then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're going to wheel it then I wouldn't get it steam cleaned unless you have some repairs planned and don't want to get dirty.

It may be that the diff breathers were spewing diff fluid over the years and this caked up underneath. Again, this isn't bad since you extended the breathers and removed the flap that causes the vacuum (you did that mod right?)

I think you're seeing FIPG on the xfer case. Got pics? If so, that's normal.

-B-

P.C.
The underside of the vehicle is coated from the factory with a non-hardening ugly black goo stuff. dust and dirt ETC sticks to it over the years. In protected areas like above the tcase It will probably still be black and sticky. It is a protective goop and is VERY hard to get off. If you do spend a ton of time under there getting it off, what do you intend to put back on?
&nbsp:Dan :beer:

Ok,

I'm happy now, cuz it is thick black GOOP. happy to have it if it's supposed to be there. :D. I've had a Chevy and a Heep, both undercoatd, but not woth this stuff

Jeff

Another possibility-Leaking pinion seal. Maybe I'm waay off target here cause the cruiser gods didn't mention it, but on my 40 a gone pinion seal in the rear coated everything in the back. Overgreased u-joints do the same, only with globs of grease, not a fine spray of oil. Check the oil in your rear diff.

This also sounds a bit like after market rust coat. I had mine treated last year with this stuff (frame railsm etc) and it seems to have the consistency you mention.

Cheers, Hugh

Photo,
Take a look under another cruiser from the same year and see if it has the same style goop (luckily you can do this without jacking it up). Fresh undercoating is sometimes a sign that there was major damage to the vehicle they want to cover up although I'd be surprised if it was all the way up in there where you found it. I looked at an LX450 at a used car dealer that had fresh undercoat from the rear doors back. Turned out it also had a salvage title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom