Frame stretch... fj45 conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

I have a line on a good low mile fj40, tub is totally crapped out. I was thinking of making it into a 45 long bed, with removable bed for a flatbed rear too.

I was wondering if stretching the frame is feasable for the average garage mechanic with good welding skills? Anyone know of this kind of conversion being done before? I thought I saw something like this in an old edition of TT, but cant seem to find the article, it may have been a readers rides issue.

I was also wondering if it would be easier to mount an fj40 body to a FJ60 or Fj55 frame instead of lengthening a 40 frame?

Thinking out loud... any thoughts?

Rezarf <><

Anything is possible, lenghtening the 40 frames has been done a few times. Simply stated all you would need to do is cut the frame toward the center diagnally, then weld a fish mount plate over the section inside and outside, re box the area.
I plan on doing this in the future.

I say do it. I want to do the same thing.
A guy here in the Bay Area did this to his 40 and its waaay cool. He made the cab into a king cab by cutting the tub and moving the back part forward, so theres room still behind the drivers seats and he can move the seats back more than your standard 45. He sealed up where the rear doors would go, but kept the rear part of the hardtop still so it has the rear hatch. Its cool cause he opens the hatch up into the bed.
He cut the frame and welded boxed tubing for the rear. Has a flat bed with a roll cage on it. Only funky part of his set up is that he is using springs off some van, maybe a nissan van or something, dont quite remember, and he says the rear springs hardly flex. If he had linked it it would work better ofcourse. Thats not to say he couldnt figure out a good spring combo for the rear.

All in all its a kick ass Cruiser. Wish I had a pic to send you. His name is Sully.

cheers-
Dustin

Dustin-

Sounds sweet, see if you can track down a pic or two for us.

I love the look of Mudraks 45, with the canvas "can back" look.

Ranger- when you say cut the frame diagonally, you mean making like a Z type cut, cutting the frame on the down stroke, side to side and up and down, when facing the side of the rig? That makes sense for being able to line it all up again.

I guess my biggest scare is getting the frame out of true. That would suck...

What is the wheel base for the LWB fj45? I think 116" sticks in my head for some reason.

Rezarf <><

FJ45 frame (116"wb) stretched an additional 16" for an extended cab.

Long%20Frame.jpg

More Pics

I was going to add to the back of a fj40 frame, since it can be ran straight out the back.
Then put on a fj45 shortbed, then move my axle back to the wheel wells of the shortbed.
Then fill in the old wheel wells on the fj40 tub. As soon as I can photo chop one, I will post a pic.

Do it, I've seen this done on fullsize domestic trucks sucessfully. I've been day dreaming of doing this to my FJ60 and maybe someday building a Fj45 crew cab; take lots of pictures and keep us posted on all the details involved.

Nice Jack.
Just use Jacks pic as a reference , it looks tight.

Strech in middle , not add on end........

FWIW , Get your 45 tub and set it on there first , then set the axle on jack stands where you want your WB , then measure how far to stretch to aligin frame hump with axle . This requires streching frame in middle as opposed to adding onto end as you mentioned , better idea IMO.....

Sweet-

Thanks for the pics Jack. I think it is pretty feasible to go for now. I do like the idea of bobbing the long bed a little bit, but not too much as to have the short bed look.

Time to start hunting for the 45 bed. I am going to go with the aluminum cab. I do like Mudraks can back look with the flatbed...

More to come as I get going on this, probably still a few months away from really cutting and chopping.

Rezarf <><

I was hoping to see your frame posted some where,THANKS!It is as nice as it looks.I'm trying to find a good lwb frame .But there are none.But i found a 45LV and wondered.Or 40 front clip and 55 rear with 60 outboarded springs and axels.Sure like to see more of that build Medusa.

It's been 9 years since this post but it would be nice to see updates due to me thinking of using a fj55 frame to make an extended cab 45. Doing searches to find what works best. Pics of your finished work and what you ended up doing would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom