FJ45 conversion - reality check and advice sought (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks in advance for bearing with me. Here is the short version of a long story: I bought an FJ45 off of BaT in 2017 link here . Needed some stuff done, got a case of while-your-in-there and 50k later, it's a great truck, but doesn't fit my family's need (married 4 kids) and I would like to have something I can take all the kids out in. I tried the BaT route in 2021 but didn't get close to what I could live with link here . So now I have a really neat piece of garage art. I woulds love to get maybe $50k for it, but I don't even think that's realistic.

So, my thought is now to convert into a soft top troopy. Keep the same underpinnings since they are now all pristine, cut up the cab and bed to join them, put some more seats in, get a roll bar and soft top made, replace the drivetrain and Bob's your uncle.

Lots of flack about cutting up a beautiful piece of Land Cruiser history, but I'd rather have something I can enjoy with the family. Haven't really tried to find anyone out there with an FJ45 troopy in similar condition to trade with, but I just don't see a lot of movement out there, and I've been think about this for 18 months now.

Am I nuts? Looking forward to opinions. Thanks.

002-exterior-1964ToyotaFJ45-SWB-FixedCabPickup.jpg

Take the body off and get the Aqualu 4 door tub you want. Then sell the other body. I have loved my Aqualu tub going on 21 years now and zero rust.

Why don't u offer to trade someone for what u want?
If there was something out there, I would in a heartbeat except it's kind of a needle in a haystack, plus I know where I stand with my frame/chassis/suspension/brakes etc. A known quantity. I've had my eye out for a while, maybe a WTT ad would be in order.
Take the body off and get the Aqualu 4 door tub you want. Then sell the other body. I have loved my Aqualu tub going on 21 years now and zero rust.
I left them a message today, asked if they are still taking custom orders.

Do you have the skills to complete this type of project? You say keep the underpinnings but replace the drive train? Not sure what's under there now, but if it's original stuff, judging by those hubs, you should replace that stuff too and go disc brakes. At that point, it seems like a waste to destroy a somewhat rare SWB pickup.

Do you have the skills to complete this type of project? You say keep the underpinnings but replace the drive train? Not sure what's under there now, but if it's original stuff, judging by those hubs, you should replace that stuff too and go disc brakes. At that point, it seems like a waste to destroy a somewhat rare SWB pickup.
I don’t have the skills for the body and paint, but I’m not afraid of the other stuff. Frame rails down is more or less brand new in 2020-21, already disc converted. I agree with the waste sentiment but at some point, if I can’t get the family in it, and can’t get much money for it (relatively), what can I do

Some thoughts...disregard if unhelpful...

If you sold for $40K, you'd be upside down by $30K ($20K purchase plus $50K in work), plus cash for whatever you would be short in picking up the new rig (maybe zero, if the market has stayed soft on both sides of the transaction). Compare that to the cost of the conversion, and think about which one you'd be most comfortable living with and would drive the highest value long-term. One guess is that the conversion might wreck additional value than the ~$30K that you'd be out by just selling one and buying the other, not to mention the actual cash cost of the conversion. I.e., you could be spending approx. $90K total (guesstimating another $20K in conversion expense, which might be wrong) on a rig that ultimately is only worth $25-30K.

Tough call either way but the net $30K is a sunk cost. Easy to say, hard to think of it that way.

Important note - this is all just numbers and does not account for lots of other factors which may sway your decision one way or the other...

Example of soft top troopy FS right now asking $40K.

Last edited:
If there was something out there, I would in a heartbeat except it's kind of a needle in a haystack, plus I know where I stand with my frame/chassis/suspension/brakes etc. A known quantity. I've had my eye out for a while, maybe a WTT ad would be in order.

I left them a message today, asked if they are still taking custom orders.
I went crazy back then and got the bib, aprons, fenders, cowl, tub, running boards, and locking tailgate all for around $5000 in 2002. I looked it up yesterday and it would be around $13000 plus now. No offense but it sounds like your pockets might be deeper than a lot of Cruiserheads. I suggest getting it while you can, because I know Aqualu might be changing hands and without Tedd's overseeing of the business it might not survive in its present form. I am sure they will work with you. Good folks. Keep us in the loop.

Reality bites 😕
You're in it way more than it's market value. Accept it, sell it for the best you can get, and go buy what you want/need for the family, a 200 series maybe.

Don't throw more money at it. It probably still won't meet your needs for six people and not near safe enough (in my opinion) to pile the family in for more than an ice cream cone run.

Some thoughts...disregard if unhelpful...

If you sold for $40K, you'd be upside down by $30K ($20K purchase plus $50K in work), plus cash for whatever you would be short in picking up the new rig (maybe zero, if the market has stayed soft on both sides of the transaction). Compare that to the cost of the conversion, and think about which one you'd be most comfortable living with and would drive the highest value long-term. One guess is that the conversion might wreck additional value than the ~$30K that you'd be out by just selling one and buying the other, not to mention the actual cash cost of the conversion. I.e., you could be spending approx. $90K total (guesstimating another $20K in conversion expense, which might be wrong) on a rig that ultimately is only worth $25-30K.

Tough call either way but the net $30K is a sunk cost. Easy to say, hard to think of it that way.

Important note - this is all just numbers and does not account for lots of other factors which may sway your decision one way or the other...

Example of soft top troopy FS right now asking $40K
Reality bites 😕
You're in it way more than it's market value. Accept it, sell it for the best you can get, and go buy what you want/need for the family, a 200 series maybe.

Don't throw more money at it. It probably still won't meet your needs for six people and not near safe enough (in my opinion) to pile the family in for more than an ice cream cone run.
Thanks for the input. My pockets aren't deep, it was more of a slow bleed over 2-3 years. I know I'll never get out what I've got in it, that's not the game, I just want to be able to go on the Froyo run. Can't do that as is.

Thanks for the input. My pockets aren't deep, it was more of a slow bleed over 2-3 years. I know I'll never get out what I've got in it, that's not the game, I just want to be able to go on the Froyo run. Can't do that as is.
A standard 40 may suffice for the froyo run? Lots of good options there.

Consider importing a converted 45, either Australian Arkana or South African Meano - not sure if there is a comparable south American option?
My Meano is longer than a troopy, and could easily seat the whole family if I stripped the camper out.
I know a good one one for sale in the UK right now (stripped and not finished) which might fit your needs.

Screenshot_20230210-180218_eBay.jpg

Wow. You put in 50K and aren't happy. I would look for an old 4WD short, mountain school bus made by cornbinder. I think those guys at FabRats have a project like that coming up.

It's your car and money, life is short - enjoy it your way.

Years ago I had a friend. who restored a FJ45 SWB, He ended up putting a pair of Subaru Brat seats in the bed for the kids.

I went crazy back then and got the bib, aprons, fenders, cowl, tub, running boards, and locking tailgate all for around $5000 in 2002. I looked it up yesterday and it would be around $13000 plus now. No offense but it sounds like your pockets might be deeper than a lot of Cruiserheads. I suggest getting it while you can, because I know Aqualu might be changing hands and without Tedd's overseeing of the business it might not survive in its present form. I am sure they will work with you. Good folks. Keep us in the loop.

Just to clarify - Aqualu/Hard Body 4x4 isn't going anywhere and Todd will be around for awhile yet, although he does have a new party interested as mentioned. Still have time to get what you want. :)

seems like you would be way better off selling and just getting a nice regular FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom