Frame / Chasis Bracing and Reinforcement for Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched this and found a few short threads, no real good info though. How many of you have reinforced your 80 series chasis? I know people have braced around trouble spots like where the steering box mounts. But I'm not talking about patching some cracks. I'm talking about stiffening or reinforcing the chasis to tolerate a heavier engine and/or higher torque. I know the frame on these things is pretty stout already, but when you're thinking of dropping in a heavy diesel engine it calls into question things like engine mounts and frame strength... so chime in if you've done it or have some credible information on the subject. As always, pictures are gold... Oh, and if I'm barking up the wrong tree I'd be happy to know about it. I'm not looking to fix something if it doesn't need it. But I am considering a swap and I'd rather brace something ahead of time than try to straighten a bent frame.

Just thinking of the turbo upgrades....

A perfect 0.5 bar with no losses gives you 50% more..,.,., go.

I’ve never known anyone to beef up the engine mounts for turbo or supercharger.

Cummins guys.... chime in 👍

I want to know what engine and suspension/tire set up you plan to drive thats going to make enough power and hook well enough to twist this frame, ha. Im intrigued, genuinely! I would be more concerned with the rest of your drive train before getting to that point. Sounds like potentially a badass set up!

Just thinking of the turbo upgrades....

A perfect 0.5 bar with no losses gives you 50% more..,.,., go.

I’ve never known anyone to beef up the engine mounts for turbo or supercharger.

Cummins guys.... chime in 👍
Fair enough. But like you say, a turbo or supercharger only increase output. Technically they increase weight but it's negligible in comparison to the engine. A cummins will add several hundred pounds to the front end while also doubling torque numbers...
I want to know what engine and suspension/tire set up you plan to drive thats going to make enough power and hook well enough to twist this frame, ha. Im intrigued, genuinely! I would be more concerned with the rest of your drive train before getting to that point. Sounds like potentially a badass set up!
I'm not worried so much about twisting the frame from monstrous hp as I am bending the frame because I put a 6bt in there and then go bouncing off of a ledge or over whoops with a 7k lb truck. Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom