Frame Bent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluto

More questions than answers.
Threads
This is my first tech help post here so bear with me.

Finally got some time today to install a used 80series ARB BB to my 95 LC.
Took out the OEM bumper with no problem (EZ). The ARB has not been reported as being bent or into an accident.

The problem Im having is sliding the ARB into the front horn of the frame.
Per adjustment Im able to slide one side in partially but the other side does not - the arb hits the frame horn head in (no sliding in).

My DS corner of the OEM bumper was pushed in a little bit but did not look like the impact would bend the frame. Using a leveler did indicate that DS frame horn was bent inwards (hard to tell visually).

This sucks because this is a very easy mod for a newbie like myself.

So what can I do now to fix the frame or what can I do to fit the ARB?

Please advise (I will be picking up my daughters from school so I may not reply for awhile). I will try to find my camera and take pictures and post them as soon as I can. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to get the big hammer out and give the frame-horn a wack. This is not unusual for ARB bumpers.

Agreed... I have helped install 4 or 5 ARB's on different makes and models, including my old truck. I think 1 might have fit right out of the box.

Don't be surprised if mounting holes don't line up either, that happened on a couple of trucks too.

You might have to slightly modify the mounts to get them to work. Notice the slightly in that last sentence, if you are way off something might be wrong with the bumper or the frame as you stated with the bumper being pushed in.

do you have a come along you could use to wrap around and cinch it in?

either that or find a large palm tree to hug?

so laying the ARB on the pavement and a level shows that the used bumper is straight? so what you're trying to do is span the frame mounts outward? how about a jack?

just a WAG. good luck.

So nobody thinks they're all off...

My ARB went on smooooth.

A highlift sideways might work. It also might bend the wrong one out. Using a hand winch (coffin hoist or come along or spanish windlass) you might be able to park next to a tree and drag it (and the cruiser) about a bit.

There is still something uniquely satisfying about using a real big hammer for good old fashioned percussive maintenance. Especially when it works.

I'm one of the lucky ones. My arb fit like a glove.

If you have any fireman friends, and you wan't to spread the horns apart in a safe and controlled manner. Drop by the local firehouse and ask if they can help you. It would only take a few seconds with a hydraulic rescue ram.

Hint: Firemen will do just about anything for food. (Dinner)

Lt. Joe Klak
Washington Fire Department
Rescue Technician
Hazmat Technician
HSRT team member

I would agree with the guys who say use a come-along or jack. VERY IMPORTANT do not tighten the bolts until you have them all in !!!! You may have to push, pull, and lift to get all of the bolts to fit in. If you tighten bolts first, you can't move the bumper around.

Okay it looks like its whacking time. I thought about grinding the ARB but it looks like theres alot to grind. :D

Using clowns rig for illustration:
#1 Should I worry about this if I do hammer the frame horn - will it affect the body?

#2 This is the side of the horn that is hitting the corresponding ARB mounting side. The DS frame horn tilts to the outside a bit.

#1 Sould I worry about affecting this? (i wont be hitting this by the way) - another pic.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Socalfj,
Yeah Im the lucky guy. Photogod was awesome with this ARB transaction.
Youll probably see it when we see each other on the next Socal 80s trip.

PabloVTA,
The ARB bumper mounts are straight.

Its the frame. :frown:

Put a hydraulic jack (or failing the vehicle jack) between the legs of the ARB bumper with blocks of wood between the frame and jack. Blocks need to be wider that actual ARB mounting horns. Spread the ARB bumper a little and slide on. It will be much easier than trying to compress the frame. We do it all the time at the shop when they do not fit.

sleeoffroad said:
Put a hydraulic jack (or failing the vehicle jack) between the legs of the ARB bumper with blocks of wood between the frame and jack. Blocks need to be wider that actual ARB mounting horns. Spread the ARB bumper a little and slide on. It will be much easier than trying to compress the frame. We do it all the time at the shop when they do not fit.

Thanks Slee! Youre the man.
I would rather bend the ARB than my rigs frame.

Thanks MUDDERs!

Thanks for posting this link on my thread. My front OEM bumper was banged at the passenger side as well. I will try the jack inbetween the ARB horns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom