Four Days stuck in 1st and 2nd gear low Range (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

once we winched through the creek, we tried going through the swamp the quads go to cross the 2nd river crossing as they cross at a shallower location and we figured the swamp would be frozen underneith, however a few holes caused us problems and we had to winch out and abort that mission, it was getting late anyway and figured we should set up camp. I think this is the hole that my other birfield let go as I was trying to back out of it.

P5211577.jpg

P5211578.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Think I'd need to build a bigger truck to do that trip with you guys, and a stylish hat :grinpimp:.
When I saw that bronco there were no dents; taken quite the beating on that trail.

If you wanted to come in May long, yes, at least one locker (two recomended) chains, and 35 swampers or more, then snorkle or high intake is probably minimum, winch manditory. But any other weekend, no, (July long the rivers can still be high) you can get by with stockish truck, small lift and larger tires. We know the trail like the back or our hand now (except the last 10km) so when new people come in, we generally get out at the tricky places we think there might be issues and help guide, plus watching the lines we take is key. Your wagon would have no problem on this trail with possibly a winch pull or two. Oh and most of the dents happend on the weekend to Prince George, then pushing through this trail before we started clearing, once clear, this trail should only hand out scratches and the odd dent if your not careful!:hillbilly:

Lunch special. After we got out of the bog and headed to our regular 2nd river crossing campsite we noted how deep the water was and how deep the snow was on the other side, and the fact I was 3 wheel drive again, we decided to abort heading in further and just head back out in the morning.

P5211579.jpg

P5221581.jpg

P5221583.jpg

on the way through the creek by the camp, I decided since I lost a birf, I would do the million point turn instead of head right up the steep bank like I usually crawl over, but Adam feeling invincible since I rarely have issues and he does all the breaking decided to give it a try, but you really need a front locker for this climb, so anyway picture one + picture 2 = Picture 2, a blown rear ujoint and the whole CV ears as well. luckily he had enough parts between a spare front shaft and enough extra u joints to mix and match and get back on the trail under full power, cause otherwise it would be a tough hobble out with two limping trucks.

P5221584.jpg

P5221585.jpg

P5221586.jpg

Some more for this morning. after the bronco fix, back into the long flooded section, tough to remember all the holes to avoid from the day before, don't know how adam did it not seeing the trail for half a year, plus all different than any other time we've seen it.

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

After this flooded section we came on the mini creek crossing that had an old wood style culvert and got stuck in it. We have since tried throwing short logs and sticks in there parellel to the trail numerous times to make it better, but it just wasn't working and this may long a part caved in again then stuck the broncos tires deep between the logs, so we ended up hiking a bit to some of the dead dry trees, choping 8 foot peices and laying around 8 logs perpendicular to the trail, hopefully this obsticle will stop detaining us, still sort of tricky as the logs fly up on the oposite side of the part where the tire is sitting.:hillbilly:

P5221587.jpg

P5221588.jpg

P5221589.jpg

some more lunch speacials. Had a few issues climbing a ledge and my rear gate kept flipping open, then needed a little tug in the deep snow, and the big river crossing. Note it had started raining by noon and by the time we got to the river it was up a few inches. I know that doesnt sound like much, but that much water flowing is huge, as it was actually pushing our trucks down stream and both me and adam thought we might not make the turn up the bank, then just at the last second the front tires caught and the trucks barely clawed themselves to the bank.

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Here are the last pics of the crossing where I was seriously starting to sweat as water was flowing over the hood, and the truck was going down stream, and no matter how I turned my stearing wheel. Then climbing back up the high water made getting out of the soft bank material impossible and had to winch around a bunch of willows (first batch didn't hold, but the second bunch of willows held strong) ended up caving in my entire drivers rear quarter on the bank as well, I was not impressed:hillbilly:

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

P5221590.jpg

Last edited:
The big bronco, also having some trouble washing down river, then having to winch out of the river. We did shovel the trail a bit wider so we didn't crush our trucks as much, I lost my last tail lens on this part as after that I decided to build my tail light gaurds cause I was tired of smashing a lens on every trip!

P5221591.jpg

P5221592.jpg

P5221594.jpg

Got past the river, then the bog was a little deeper on the way out and then set up camp in soppy conditions to get the fire stoked up so we coud dry a few things and warm up.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

P5221595.jpg

Thanks Boozewz,

We hope after one more week of trail clearing next week this trail will be accessible to people with trucks that arn't as crazy as us:hillbilly:

Nice old school troopy by the way, think I would give my left nut for a truck like that, hoping to get a troopy from Austrailia some time soon then swap my wagon drivetrain into it and roam this trail for years to come.:hillbilly:

Cheers,
Deny

Just thought I would try to finish this story up before we head in again tommorow for a week to finish clearing the trail. On the way out the snow had melted a lot.

IMG_0580.jpg

P5231600.jpg

P5231602.jpg

All the creeks had swelled quite a bit as well.

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Busting up the last part of the trail, this creek was way higher than we've ever seen it.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

There you go, that's it, end of our may long adventure 2011. (Just so you know Niel:hillbilly:)
Cheers,
Deny

Love it! A great adventure! :beer:

Last edited:
Excellent trip, photos, story, and everything else Deny. Glad you guys are making headway on that thing. I'd love to get out there with you guys but there just is never time these days.

Cheers :beer:

Brad

Just thought I would try to finish this story up before we head in again tommorow for a week to finish clearing the trail. On the way out the snow had melted a lot.

Great pics Deny.

Have fun out there. Weather looks like it should be decent for your trip. Creeks in your area look like they have come down a lot since last week but still about double the flow (discharge) since May long. Should be interesting :beer:
Google Map Search - Real-time Hydrometric Data - Environment Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom