Found a good Knuckle Rebuild Grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I've searched the forums and read just about everything I could find on Knuckle Grease. I've found big words like..molybdenum disulfide lithium based grease NLGI#2, and stuff like that. I am a Lubrication "crazy man" and I like to use exactly what's recommended.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I find it hard to find EXACTLY whats recommended at my parts stores. I have searched and found the following grease that has all of whats recommended and it's pretty cheap too.

Moly Extreme Pressure

Grease

SKU: 27-616
Description

MileMaster 661475008080 - Moly EP Grease is a Lithium-based grease, providing extreme pressure fortified with Molybdenum Disulfide plus a special polymer and rust inhibitor for metal protection and film strength. MileMaster Moly EP Grease #2 is excellent grease for most heavy-duty grease applications.

Lithium-based EP Grease fortified with Moly and Polymer.
Extra extreme pressure and shock load protection.
NLGI certified for heavy-duty chassis use.

Material Code: 661475008
NLGI Grade: 2
Penetration Worked ASTM D217: 280
Grease Type: Lithium/Poly
Color: Grey/Black
Timken OK Load lb.: 45
Dropping Point D 2265: 350
Rust Prevention ASTM D 1743: Pass

2984_1_27-616.jpg

The only bad thing, I haven't found it in Tubs yet.

Moly Extreme Pressure Grease - Lubricants - Trailer Shop Supplies - Trailer Parts On-Line Store | Nuera Transport

WoodsCustom

I ordered 6 tubes on the 30th, they arrived today. Not bad at all for shipping over the 4th of July weekend.

WC

Gentlemen...I see the term EXTREME PRESSURE but no mention of HI-TEMPERATURE applications (ie, wheel bearings/universal joints). (1.) Could be the terms are interchangable...Agree/Disagree? (2.) When you see the application mentioned as "heavy duty Chassis use", how does one define the term "Chassis"? (3.) I'm also curious as to how one defines the term "multi-purpose" grease? Just need to confirm my understanding with the majority.

Now, I'm not a scientific expert on the various makeups of greases, but I do know a thing or two about it.

Extreme pressure (EP) and High Temp (HT) are not the same, ALTHOUGH a High Temp Grease may contain EP additives and vice versa.

EP GREASE that contain 5% molybdenum disulfide added as an extreme pressure additive for "highly loaded gears and bearings" like those found in your Steering Knuckles.

Chassis Lube referes to a Grease that is "Ideal for Lubrication of Chassis Details exposed to Hard Weather Conditions." Like Tie rod ends and stuff like that.

High Temp Grease is tested to perform in "HIGH TEMP" enviornments. the ASTM D3336 Test called the SPINDLE TEST operates 5 ball bearings in a race at 10,000 RPM for 20 hours, Rest 4 hours, then do it all again. Grease Failure is determined by excessive Temperature or Bearing Torque.

SOOOOOOOO....You need to be carefull on which grease you buy. The safest thing to do is look in the owners Manual and see what's required, LIKE..."Molybdenum disulfide lithium based grease NLGI#2" or "High Temp WHEEL BEARING Grease".

If you use "HIGH TEMP" grease, thinking that its "Wheel Bearing" grease, you might not be putting in exactly what you need in that application. Make sure it says both.

Look at what Ingredients your lube has in it, match it up to your owners manual requirement and drive on.

There are a lot of General Purpose Greases out there that can be used in multiple applications. Just make sure it has what you need.

WC

I bought 6 just to have. I would say it will take 3 or less.

WC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom