The TuRDle / My 84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just creating a thread to document the changes, etc to the FJ60 I picked up a couple weeks ago. I've posted pics before, but want a thread to track the evolution of my rig...here's the pics again:
B_Left.jpg
Bed.jpg
Driver.jpg

Background info...

The guy I bought it from didn't have a whole lot of mechanical knowledge, but the guy he got it from fixed it up right...

I think it has a locker in the back. I get a little tug from one side when I accelerate and when turning slowly through parking lots I get the bucking/ratcheting feeling. I haven't put it up on the jackstands to test or pulled the inspection cover though...

I've since removed the roof rack since I don't have any plans in the near future to use it. Easy to put it back on and it folds up nicely to store away in the garage.

Details:
212K miles
Passed CO emissions after $1K in repairs (intake gasket, valve adjustment, tune-up, etc)
Knuckle Rebuild (Kit from Cruiser Outfitters)
New Windshield, Oil Pan
33x10.50 BFG MT T/A KMs
(Does Discount Tire's Lifetime Repair/Balancing transfer to new owners? I have paperwork)
OME Leafs, Shocks, Etc
Replacement seats...not sure what they are from...comfy though!

Plans:
Service Manuals!
Sliders
Refinish bumpers & rear rack to get rid of surface rust
Center console
Steering wheel cover
Winch
Lockers (may already have one in rear...) - ARB front / auto rear
GPS
CB / Ham
Fix surface rust
Stereo
Desmog??? - Threads are intimidating!
Stuff in the mods under $50...

I noticed some weirdness going on under the hood with some of the ports blocked off, etc. Runs great, so I don't know if something was done to attempt to desmog it or what the deal it...

From the failed emissions check report:

"The HAC valve has broken vacuum tabs that are glued closed, The LF door does not open from the outside at times when the vehicle has the LF window down on the rack. The vehicle failed at 5.5 GPM HC and 76 GPM CO. The emissions machine showed that the engine was running lean at idle and at 2500-3000 RPMs. Tech found the intake manifold gasket leaking. Tech R&R the intake manifold gasket. Two of the customer's low grade vacuum lines were loose and causing the idle to fluctuate when the lines would come loose. Tech installed 2 pieces of Toyota vacuum line for these vacuum lines on the side of the carb by the idle mixture adjustment. Tech put some sealer by the idle mixture screw to make sure that it would not come loose and fall out. Took the vehicle to the emissions station and it passed. HC 4.0214 GPM HC, 41.3215 GPM CO, and 5.1438 GPM NOX."

Nice truck

TuRDle I love it. Very nice rig man. Interior looks nice. Those seats actually look pretty good did you ever find out what they're out of? Also love the bumpers thats the style I love. Nice rig man.

Nope, the guy I got it from had no clue and I haven't tried tracking down the owner before him that did all the work.

Nice Landcruiser!

Those look like 4Runner seats to me. Out of a Third Gen (95-02)

What are you plans for the stereo? Hope you're not thinking of hacking up the door panels and throwing in some flashy head unit.

I really like this approach:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/477310-ipod-jack-installed-stock-radio.html

Very minimalist and keeps the radio stock.

It's already got an aftermarket Pioneer in it. The volume knob is hosed and only works about half the time. I don't want anything fancy...just something that works.

I noticed my horn wasn't working tonight, so that'll be on the short list to fix.

I noticed my horn wasn't working tonight, so that'll be on the short list to fix.

Cool, thanks for the link! I'm hoping it's simply a fuse or something. I do have a steering wheel puller in my garage somewhere though if it comes to that. :steer:

I just did this. Easiest fix yet! I've never needed a puller to get my 60 steering wheel off. A little 'wiggling' does it every time.
Butt

I just did this. Easiest fix yet! I've never needed a puller to get my 60 steering wheel off. A little 'wiggling' does it every time.
Butt
With my aging eyes, the hardest part was seeing the damn tiny c-clip about 8 inches from my nose. I finally resorted to some old-man fly-fishing glasses with the little magnifying window.
Butt

I wouldn't bother with the desmog as long as the truck runs well and passes CO emissions. When I bought mine, all of the emissions stuff was plumbed wrong, blocked off ports, etc and it failed. Went through and put everything back to stock and it failed even worse! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sweet truck :D

Cool, thanks for the link! I'm hoping it's simply a fuse or something. I do have a steering wheel puller in my garage somewhere though if it comes to that.

I've never needed a puller but it would make it pretty easy. I don't own one haha.

Anything special I need to do to prevent the airbag from deploying? :D

Just have your face behind the wheel :hillbilly:

I had a '74 Dodge Dart Swinger back in late 90s. That's the reason I bought the puller. It also had the original shocks in the rear...those were a bitch to get out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom