For those with air conditioning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working on my AC system in my 85 4Runner recently and was wondering what others were getting for vent temperatures. I know outside temp and humidity play a big role but I'd like to compare anyway.
Here is the test for comparison:
control set to vent or forward facing vents, all open
outside air selected
ac on with fan on 3
thermometer in one of the center vents. I used a digital meat thermometer
rev to 2500 rpm or drive it and note the lowest temp reached

Edit:
Just let me know the lowest temp you can acheive

The coldest reading I'm getting is about 44(not constant) with it being around 95 deg f outside(humidity unknown). My 2010 corolla is getting around 34 deg for the same test
I would appreciate any one giving this a go. thanks

Last edited:
The coldest reading I'm getting is about 44(not constant) with it being around 95 deg f outside(humidity unknown).
This is what I get too, plus or minus. R134A conversion on my 1985 4R. Personally, I consider that anemic. I haven't checked my Venza, that will freeze me out, quick. My 4R needs to run to get to that 44*.

Last edited:
I get 39 -+42 @ center vent with recirc. air mode.

I just checked a few of my vehicles the other day.
2003 100 series - 41 degrees
2005 4Runner - 48-50 (and this is with a brand new condensor, compressor and expansion valve)
1989 FJ62 - 46-48
These were all checked within an hour of each other, sames conditions. The temp was upper 90's, unsure of the humidity.

I just checked a few of my vehicles the other day.
2003 100 series - 41 degrees
2005 4Runner - 48-50 (and this is with a brand new condensor, compressor and expansion valve)
1989 FJ62 - 46-48
These were all checked within an hour of each other, sames conditions. The temp was upper 90's, unsure of the humidity.
I appreciate you checking. I was hoping I was undercharged or something but it sounds like my temps are normal. my Corolla has spoiled my expectations

I can somehow get to 34 deg in my (r12 converted to r13a) 1990 with recirc on. Was about 100 out when I checked
548CCF57-F350-44CE-B889-78BF986C0421.jpeg

FWIW - the instructions with my IR temp gun said to never use it to measure moving air, and thy included a dial-type probe thermometer for checking things like A/C output. Obviously, an IR thermometer call measure the plastic temperature, but my IR temp guns readings are definitely affected by moving air (such as the engine fan).

Thread content: With a proper R12 charge, my '89 FJ62 read 44F on a 90 degree day.

FWIW - the instructions with my IR temp gun said to never use it to measure moving air, and thy included a dial-type probe thermometer for checking things like A/C output. Obviously, an IR thermometer call measure the plastic temperature, but my IR temp guns readings are definitely affected by moving air (such as the engine fan).

Thread content: With a proper R12 charge, my '89 FJ62 read 44F on a 90 degree day.

Oh definitely, I just figured the plastic duct can only get as cold as the air passing through it. But maybe take that measurement with a grain of salt given it seems to be an outlier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom