Fogs in stock bumper. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the other board someone had asked about putting fogs in the slots on a stock bumper. Another member had bought an LC with PIAA 980 in the slots were the platic housing had been taken out, not an exact fit.

That inspired be to go on a search to find some that would fit in the middle slot of the plastic housing (only aobut 1.5 x 4in) (I am many months away from my ARB and wanted/needed some fogs).

PIAA had a model that was close but the ones I found are by Pilot, model 230. I chose 230B, black housing, blue tint to glass with amber light. They have a couple other color combos in that mode.

They are 1 5/8 by 3/34 in. They fit near perfectly with only about a 1/16in of triming on the top of the area.

I realize they're not PIAA, IPF, or Hella, but for $40 I won't feel bad tossing them when I put an ARB on.

Not sure how these pics will look, they were scanned in not with a digi. So here it goes.

another pic

Interesting idea, but do they actually throw any amount of reasonable light?

I have't looked, but is there any way to cut larger openings in the stock bumper to mount lights?

Cheers, Hugh

I also mounted a cheap pair of fog lights in the same openings on my brothers 80. Was easy to do, there were the two screw holes from where the plastic was screwed in, just rig a metal piece betweeen them with a hole centered for the lights you buy. But the lights were only 20 bucks, and did nothing but (hopefully) look cool. We ended up taking them out and replacing the plastic. We installed a set of Hellas on the top of the bumper. That was also very simple, used the bolts that were on the top of the bumper. Just was a pain to undo the bolts after 10 years. The Hella lights are soooooo much better, they are actually useful!

-Matt

BTW

Those holes are there to duct air to the bottom of the radiator and to the power steering oil cooler...............

I don't wanna hear about any overheating problems from you :D :D :D

Ya sure cruiserdan? I could swear I've seen pics of non US 80's with what looked to be factory fog lights in that position. Of course I can't remember for sure now, and they could've been aftermarket if I really did see 'em :p

Well now since you asked......

My trusty Japanese domestic rh drive parts fiche does not show any such feature. The fog lights are in the headlamps......

Trust me. :D

Byron:

I'm in the process of mounting PIAA 1500 fogs in the bumper. SO far I have had to modify (read:cut/file) the two vertical plastic separators in the factory insert and grind about 3/8" off the PIAA brackets, but it's coming along nicely. I',m not real pleased with how far the lenses will extend beyound the insert, but I can live with it.

I'll post pics sometime later this week once the install is complete, and if I can figure out how to post a pic since I don't use a picture-hosting site.

You can post pics without having them hosted elsewhere on this forum. Use the attach command underneath the text window.

Those 980s in the bumper were mine. When they were installed the plastic inserts in the bumper were removed so the gap looked bigger than it really could have been.

They would have looked "almost" OEM if the PO had left the inserts in. Oh well...

Looks nice, but rice lights are not meant for offroading...

:dunno: I should've known better than to question you Cruiserdan, with the plethora of information constantly at your fingetips! :-/  :D

:bow:  cruiserdan     :beer:

You forgot to say "worthless" information.....

-H- You can trust ME......... 8)

bkgiii-

Yeah those PIAA 1500 are much bigger, good luck with triming, I'll be interested to see how it comes out, especially if you will be left with any of the vertical members, if so, I may switch up to those.

Well, the trimming is done, and I ended up with almost exactly half the width of the vertical members remaining. Looks like once installed, the lenses will extend about 5/8" out from the trim pieces. I'll take a pic of the trim piece tonite so you can see what I cut out.

Here's 3 pics of the 'in progress' trimming / mounting of the PIAA 1500's. I ended up pulling the mount forward a little to allow for better beam adjustment (protrudes about 1").....oh well......

Here's one view (blurry, I know.....crappy camera.....) that shows what I cut out of the trim)

ANd here's another angled view of the trim trimming.....

And finally, a pic of the aux. backups I promise from the SOR forum...I went with cheapies, since when launching the boat, they might sometimes go underwater. ALthough they are sealed, they aren't stainless....

Byron: OK..they're in. I played around with reversing the brackets to 'inset' the PIAA's a little more, but found I lost a lot of vertical adjustment. I'll stick with these the way they are here, extending about 1" from the leading edge of the bumper....it'll have to do. Now to put the Cibie's back on.......
Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom