Foamy PS fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided to take some time today and change the fluid in my Power Steering. Ever since it got cold I've had a moaning PS pump and have been trying to figure out how to fix it. It's always been fine on fluid level, but when I checked it the other day right after coming to a stop it was very frothy. So I decided on the fluid swap. I decided on a Synthetic Power Steering Fluid and read the FSM for proceedure. Seemed pretty straight forward, but now even the new stuff is frothy right at engine start-up. I have to admit that it was pretty tough doing it by myself and keeping the reservoir full all the time. Did I introduce air into the system during the process or is it supposed to be somewhat frothy at engine start? (Somehow I doubt it.. :-\)

Good news is he moan is significantly less than before.

Plus, anyone have a better method of swapping out the fluid? I have a hunch that I'm going to have to do it again.

Thanks.

Safe,

Do a search, man. I posted some improvements to the FSM procedure Oct/Nov ish. Stopped my whine completely.

DougM

Just to set the record straight. I did several searches...600 days back. Searched for POWER STEERING and only got my post and one other not related. Iit wasn't until I had your name as the author that it found it. What's up with that Woody?

Anyway, thanks for the EFI fuse idea...that should make it easier. I had the extension hose already and everything, just like you lined out, but once you turn that engine over, the fire hose kicks on and you can't keep the air out. FSM indicates that capacity for the 80 is less than one quart. I was replacing red with clear and noticed that it was only slightly pink after one quart...so I may just try the wheel crank back and forth, stopping every 3 or so turns to top of the reservoir. to see if that works. The tiny bit of air introduced might be from when the return was hooked back up to the res. I can see hot it might be difficult for fluid to travel down and fill any voids left. I've got an idea for that too, I'll post back if it works, or just let it die if I end up swimming in PS fluid. :D Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom