Flunking the smog test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
OK, I took my new (old) FJ60 Cruiser to the smog station this evening, flunked big time. Gross Polluter, they called me.

My heart is broken. But I will continue onward. Perhaps my carburator is crap? Perhaps the test is crap? Dunno. I know that the TLC is targeted in the state of CA. What is my cure, if any are available? I am now certain that the guy who sold me this otherwise pristine 60 had the same problem, and was not man enough t face it.

Suggestions?

Mike S

Try a tune up, clean air filter and if you're still worried wait till you're almost out of gas and dump a bottle or two of gas line antifreeze into the tank and maybe you'll make it.

Its most likely that some on the smog hardware isn't functioning. If you have the time and the interest, get a Toyota emissions manual are start testing stuff. Otherwise find a Cruiser mechanic in your area who is familiar FJ60 emissions issues. Did you just buy the truck? Doesn't CA require the seller fix emissions issues before the sale? Colorado requires this.

What portion of the test did you fail and how bad? Exhaust is really not all that complicated nor expensive. It gets expensive as people just start replacing parts at random hoping to fix it. My first guess is the cat or the o2 sensors. They usually are the issue. Pin Head that posts here and on CCOT, POR seems to have a real handle on how to diagnose.

Replace your plugs, cap & rotor, and wires if need be. You can even try to lean the carb slightly for the test. Change your oil to a 5-30 or lighter (depends on how good your rings are) for the test. Replace the PCV valve/air filter. Ensure your engine is at good operating temperature. Now what are the HC values of the emissions test? With this information you can then adjust some timing and the fuel used for the test accordingly, the State should allow another test in close timeframe for free.

Get the emissions manual reprint from SOR and go from there. It will tell you how to troubleshoot the various emissions spaghetti and set up your timing and carb.

If you bought this 60 in CA, then you are in luck, bucause it is HIS problem to make it pass smog, not yours. He is legally obligated to either have it checked before he sells it or make it pass after he sold it. You can either have him fix it until it passes or refund your money; your choice.

Check the bureau of auto repair web site for the law on this.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=5395;start=msg42405#msg42405 date=1063861010]
OK, I took my new (old) FJ60 Cruiser to the smog station this evening, flunked big time. Gross Polluter, they called me.

My heart is broken. But I will continue onward. Perhaps my carburator is crap? Perhaps the test is crap? Dunno. I know that the TLC is targeted in the state of CA. What is my cure, if any are available? I am now certain that the guy who sold me this otherwise pristine 60 had the same problem, and was not man enough t face it.

Suggestions?

Mike S

[/quote]

MOVE out of Communistfornia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom