Fluid recommendations KZJ78 1KZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to change out all fluids on my KZJ78 trans, diff, oil and coolant i live in Okinawa so i have read that 15w40 Rotella is good, but what do y'all recommend for trans fluid and diff?

75w90 for the transfer case and diffs. Double check the owners manual for minimum level rating (GL). You can go to a higher level of gear oil (synthetic) if you wish.

We cannot speak to the transmission without knowing what transmission you have (auto or manual?). If it is manual, same as above.

If it is an old rig with a manual gearbox: Go GL4 for the gearbox.
The additives in modern GL5 would corrode the nonferrous metal components that might be present in older gearbox designs.
15W for the engine might be a bit thick at cold temps. Its good to about -0°C. For colder temps: Go 10W. Not at all relevant for summer temp, though. 40 is right.
If you have a limited slip diff (LSD) in the rear, you need special LS gearoil (or additiv). You can use LS gearoil in the front, too. It doesnt harm, but is a bit more expensive. It saves the hassle of procuring and storing two different oil qualities, though.
Cheers Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom