Floor shift or three on the tree? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is my 68 factory top with a 69 and 73 factory soft top installed. No mods needed to do it and no mod required to install a hard top on a factory soft top. When I bought 73 factory soft top it had a 72 hard top on it. Luckily the doors and bows were still there.
001011.jpg

001029.jpg

Did you try putting a hardtop on yours? I have a hardtop that came off of another 68' that was being parted out. I have not tried to fit it up yet.

Do you know if there is a difference between the floor shift and column shift on the shifting dash plate?

Mine had a hard top on it when I bought it that the PO had installed. It fit just fine but I sold it as I lived in Arizona at the time and with the heat I didn't really have much use for it.

The shift pattern remains the same and the dash plate will still be accurate.

Great looking 40! Is that a 60 next to it in the first picture?

That picture is almost twenty seven years ago. Sold that home many years ago. The gold vehicle is a 89 FJ62. Like the 68 FJ40 I still have the FJ62. Already the 73 FST by then still have that one as well. Add up the years I've owned those three it over a hundred years.

3 on the floor will reduce your instance of theft by 50-60%, unless the potential perps above the age of 45.

3 on the tree, you could probably leave it running at the mall with no worries... ;)

The tree is timeless...Just a few extra moving parts that are getting harder to find but...The tree is timeless.

"Salute"..Thanks for your service.

Never heard of a 4 shift on the column. I can't imagine how that would work.

Hopefully its released by end of June :cheers:

3 on the floor will reduce your instance of theft by 50-60%, unless the potential perps above the age of 45.

3 on the tree, you could probably leave it running at the mall with no worries... ;)

The tree is timeless...Just a few extra moving parts that are getting harder to find but...The tree is timeless.

"Salute"..Thanks for your service.
Love the "you could probably leave it running at the mall with no worries... ;)"

It comes down to what you want.

Personally, I do not like column shifts whether it is manual or automatic.

My Land Cruiser is getting a 5 on the floor and the last two 3500 Rams I have converted from column shift automatics to floor shift automatics.

Last edited:
I think you kind of answered your question for yourself in post #6.
You went through the trouble to find stock style parts so I think you should also keep the stock shift!
Been at least 45 years since I drove a column shift..

You went through the trouble to find stock style parts so I think you should also keep the stock shift!
I believe you are right!

I believe you are right!

Clouds part..Sun shines...All is right in the Yota-verse.

I recently bought my '71 with 3 on the tree and I plan to leave it that way for as long as I can. I enjoy it. One of the first manual transmissions I learned to drive (besides our John Deere) was an old Cushman flatbed that had 3 on the tree.

Run what you like.
I had bad experience with 3 on the tree shifters, but they were both Fords so that may have been most of the problem. Mom had a Chevy Biscayn that had a 3 on the tree, but I didn't know how to drive them. I did offer to start it for my Sister to drive to work, but didn't know how to put it in neutral and also most backed into the dog house. I understood the clutch petal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom