Floor Board Heat Condom (1 Viewer)

I could not resist the title with all the others as of late.

I have read a lot of posts in the Tech about protecting the passenger from floorboard heat but I wanted to know what the AZ people have done and what has worked. The little :princess: has complained about the heat in very hot days and it does get warm even when it is not really hot. I am referring to the 80's so what has worked for everyone?

I usually asked the person who complained about heat to sit in the 2nd row.

inkpot

SILVER Star

I have the same issue. I hope to fab up some extra heat shielding under the rig from some scrap I have. Also, I ordered a pack of Ultra Touch Radiant Barrier from JC Whtney. It sounded like the best choice from them, and I think it is the same product that is sold for high $$ nationally under another name. Hope to cut it in this weekend. Funny thin is that is it actually made right here in Chandler. Bonded Logic, 24053 S Arizona. Google shows they make a lot of neat stuff. Might need to drive over there!! John

inkpot

SILVER Star

Along with reducing floorboard heat, and increasing engine/radiator cooling, has anyone blocked off the big air gap between the bottom of the A/C condenser and the radiator? Regardless of how good your fan is at dragging air thru the radiator, there is a lot of room there for air to bypass the condenser. Would that be enough to make the A/C run colder if all the air flow went thru it?

I'll be foaming in all the gaps when I replace the wife's condenser. Hoping to get the same cooling with hers that I get with an extra electric fan on mine. Yes, both fan clutches have TRU's Magic Flukum Juice™, but mine still cools better at idle.

inkpot

SILVER Star

I'll be foaming in all the gaps when I replace the wife's condenser. Hoping to get the same cooling with hers that I get with an extra electric fan on mine. Yes, both fan clutches have TRU's Magic Flukum Juice™, but mine still cools better at idle.
The gap at the botom of the condenser is about 1.5". Maybe a bit much for foam to hold that much vacuum from the fan. Might need to use something with a little more body. I'm thinking a piece of flat scrap tacked to the cross member and then a wee bit O foam to finish it off.

I guess I am surprised in Arizona none of the 80's have been modded to protect against the heat above the cats.

I had mentioned the rear cargo area was empty when the :princess: complained about that and from the stare it took me a while looking but I swear there is a hole in me somewhere. :meh:

I will look on the tech forums but I tend to try and get the locals opinions first to see what works in Arizona.

I guess I am surprised in Arizona none of the 80's have been modded to protect against the heat above the cats.

I had mentioned the rear cargo area was empty when the :princess: complained about that and from the stare it took me a while looking but I swear there is a hole in me somewhere. :meh:

I will look on the tech forums but I tend to try and get the locals opinions first to see what works in Arizona.
Check shift lever boot for holes or cracks.

I had the same complaint from :princess: so I went to Loper's Performance and bought an approx. 5"X7" heat shield. It looks like a pad made from all that recycled asbestos they took out of the schools, so it's like a small pad. When you look just over the Cats you'll see that Toyota put a small heatshield to try and reduce the heat transfer issue; it's held by I think 4 screws. I pulled off the shield and put that asbestos looking thing, then held it up with the Toyota heatshield. It seemed to make a difference. I also asked the :princess: to sit in the back, it made a significant difference with the noise level up front :meh:.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom