Flexible solar panel mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PV panels are typically remarkably simple in construction: bunch of cells just wired together, couple of bus wires, couple of diodes, output wires, that's pretty much it. So, normally, there is very little that can go wrong. I imagine that the problem with many "semi-flexible" panels, however, is that they are made from hard (brittle) cells with a flexible substrate, so able / likely to flex between the cells, and the wires / strips there are then subject to fatigue, so many more potential failure points than a rigid panel. I would think that a flexible panel subject to severe fluttering won't have long to live.

(Check the diodes too if accessible.)

You are correct sir, I found that if I lifted one side I could get voltage, proper output, clearly an installation error, I just learned a $180 lesson. Wont happen again, notthe panels fault, user error.

I wound up using 8mm twin wall polycarb as pictured in previous post to create an air gap, used some es3600 glue to stick polycarb to alum roof skin then panel to polycarb, we;ll see, Lensun is replacing my first panel under warranty, good customer service.

I wounded a lot before pulling the plug on which flex solar panel to buy !
There are all kinds of pricing out there .
From 100 to 1000 € for 150 W aprox .
At the end I bought a marine grade panel 180W , 800 € .
To my question, what about the heat on the reverse and glueing it directly to the roof of my truck ??
Answer : old and cheap tecnology produce heat on the reverse . Not ours , all heat is on the front side .
I fact they sell their panals with 3M VHB already from factory .
Used it for aprox 1 year , very happy no issues .
Not cheap , but reliable .

Just my 2 cents

Renago, which manuf. ? did you get.
I am curious as to the construction method that has less or no heat on the backside ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom