Flat Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have bought a 1972 FJ 40 to be used as a 2nd vehicle for us when we are at our cabin in Montana. Permanent residence is Illinois and that is where the 40 currently resides. At some point we will likely build a garage at the cabin, but for now I think the 40 will be going back and forth with us. We have no problem with the towing vehicle, extended cab 3/4 ton ram pickup w the 5.7 hemi. Here is my question to those with more knowledge than myself........ how should we transport Fiona Joy? Thanks for the input
1) Tow bar and brake system
2) 2 wheel tow dolly

In an ideal world, i would say flatbed, but hoping to not spend that much $.

Thanks

I've flat-towed quite a bit locally. Land Cruisers don't tow all that well and I wouldn't want to do it too often or for great distances. You can do it, but it's kind of a "white knuckle" experience every time. You have to pay attention the whole time and anticipate what everyone around you is going to do. The tow dolly would be my recommendation, if not a full trailer. One thing about a trailer is they hold their value, for when you no longer need it and want to sell.

I have flat towed thousands of miles. I have a car hauler but still prefer flat towing. My 79 FJ40 does not flat tow well because front alignment issue. Correct that and will be find. All my 40s are stock height, if yours is lifted that could be an issue. Before making a decision I would an extended test run first. My tow vehicles are 04 V8 4X4 4Runner and a 2010 5.7 V8 4X4 Sequoia. Not an issue without brakes on the cruiser but I also adjust my driving habits when towing. One think I do not do it on snow or icy roads. My two homes are only a couple hours apart. Advantage of AZ with elevation finding cooler summer weather are only a couple hours away. Use to keep multiple cruisers at the cabin full time without a garage. But have a full time neighbor watching over my place. I now have a garage to keep all my vehicles out of sight.

No matter how you end up doing if your stopping at motels along the way would take extra measures to be sure it doesn't go MIA during the night. Someone steals your cruiser from a motel knows you will be leaving the area shortly. Not sure how much effort law enforcement really does looking for a stolen vehicle. LEO would probably have to be a cruiser fan to even notice if the vehicle was doing something illegal.

thanks for the information guys. The vehicle is lifted 4", i haven't had it aligned yet, but would be on the list of to dos. Do people flat tow without a braking system on the 40?

From IL to Montana? I would not be flat towing. Buy a trailer, they are not that expensive and reduces wear and tear on the 40. Maybe buy a used 1. They hold thier value and are easy to resell too. Flat towing the 40 will be pushing you around a little bit and doenst turn well. 2nd choice would be a dolly. To me, dollys seem expensive and resale is probably not near as good as a trailer.

thanks for the information guys. The vehicle is lifted 4", i haven't had it aligned yet, but would be on the list of to dos. Do people flat tow without a braking system on the 40?
Yes. Most do. I flat towed enuff locally to know its more comfortable to have a trailer. Buy a tow bar and try it.

Yes. Most do. I flat towed enuff locally to know its more comfortable to have a trailer. Buy a tow bar and try it.

I flat towed FJ40 from Seattle to Phoenix, Portland to Phoenix with a FJ25 and Sacramento to Phoenix with a FJ45. First two was with a first gen Tundra. Last one was with an FJ62. I did pick up an FJ40 tub in LA which I used my car hauler for. The 9' width of the car hauler was more stressful than flat tow in freeway traffic in town.

But will stress could very well be different with a lifted FJ40. The Seattle FJ40 was in bad shape and didn't track well after tightening up the front wheel bearings but still didn't have a problem getting it home. My long trips were for pick up that would have ment half the trip towing an empty trailer.

Flat towing the 40 will be pushing you around a little bit and doenst turn well.

My 68 FJ40 tracks great. Only issue I had was trying to turn around off road crossing a small bar ditch. My 70 doesn't do as well off-road. Sandy areas doesn't track. This is when only going a couple of MPH. My 79 is awful and always use my car hauler. Never had a problem having one push the tow vehicle around. My biggest concern was towing the FJ45 behind my FJ62. The section of I-40 between Barstow and Needles the slow lane was rutted from semis. This was asphult not cement. Track is wider and fought the ruts. Was January and ruts were very hard. California has a law when towing need to stay in the slow land except to pass. Even then didn't feel the 45 was pushing me around. Without towing would driven in the fast lane and pulled over to let faster vehicles get by. The ruts were deep. I'm semi drivers didn't even need to steer. Rut would have kept them in the lane.

I’d rent a Uhaul double-axle auto transport trailer for each trip. They are inexpensive and stout as hell.

U-Haul has different rates for different areas at different times. In an area everyone is moving to will charge a premium to leave it there. If it's an area everyone is leaving rate would be cheap just to get a piece of equipment there so they can charge a fortune to someone leaving. Have a feeling would be towing the FJ40 for more than a couple days so local rental is probably out of the question to keep it for that long.

already looked into 1 way rentals from uhaul....$250 for dolly and $500 for flat, not many trips to pay for a trailer I own at those rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom