Flagstaff area fossil hunting with the 6yr old. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
We had a local adventurous weekend. My daughter loves to treasure hunt for anything. She finds broken glass pieces where nobody would expect glass to be. Now I know, broken glass is everywhere:mad:. So, I made a fossil map, similar to an old pirate map. We started off the Saturday adventure with map presentation and loading up the Land Cruiser.

6CDF2401-3B67-4965-B81C-4C98E9932734.jpeg
7299B479-28CE-4865-B4F1-87C7A344BEA0.jpeg

First we looked around Lake Mary, no luck there. Next we were off to some nice trails south of Marshall Lake. We discovered the correct limestone looking for fossils, and found a jaw bone from an elk!

E5946D11-B7EE-49AC-BDBC-6D8DA4167840.jpeg

The. We moved on to the trails north of Marshall Lake on the quest for fossils. This is a nice scenic trail with a different view of the peaks, actually one of my favorite.

D398C44D-D8AE-474C-862A-3EFE273822F2.jpeg

Next, we continued to the end of one of these roads. There are a few trails that turn north off here and stop because Walnut Canyon is there. After parking, we began our hike to the southern rim of the canyon. We immediately found part of an elk or deer horn with some fur attached.

710E52AB-0D67-4DAE-BEBB-F11C205654D7.jpeg

The canyon is beautiful and the search for fossils continued there. Quite the adventure for the little girl, the map really helped though of course. Sunday afternoon we continued near the Campbell Mesa trails, and found some nice fossils. Chapter 2 will have to wait until next weekend.

That’s a sweet map! What a great family adventure.

That's great Kelly, nice work!

That's so cool...

We had a local adventurous weekend. My daughter loves to treasure hunt for anything. She finds broken glass pieces where nobody would expect glass to be. Now I know, broken glass is everywhere:mad:. So, I made a fossil map, similar to an old pirate map. We started off the Saturday adventure with map presentation and loading up the Land Cruiser.

View attachment 1959289View attachment 1959290

First we looked around Lake Mary, no luck there. Next we were off to some nice trails south of Marshall Lake. We discovered the correct limestone looking for fossils, and found a jaw bone from an elk!

View attachment 1959296

The. We moved on to the trails north of Marshall Lake on the quest for fossils. This is a nice scenic trail with a different view of the peaks, actually one of my favorite.

View attachment 1959298

Next, we continued to the end of one of these roads. There are a few trails that turn north off here and stop because Walnut Canyon is there. After parking, we began our hike to the southern rim of the canyon. We immediately found part of an elk or deer horn with some fur attached.

View attachment 1959304

The canyon is beautiful and the search for fossils continued there. Quite the adventure for the little girl, the map really helped though of course. Sunday afternoon we continued near the Campbell Mesa trails, and found some nice fossils. Chapter 2 will have to wait until next weekend.

I REALLY DIG THAT YOU DID THIS.

I have a 6 yr. old and we do a lot of rock hunting (crystals) and have found an elk jaw too (by accident)! hahahhaa. Recently, she found an arrowhead in Christopher Creek! The map you created is priceless.

Well done sir.

Zona

do it while it is still awesome - time you will always cherish!

Agree, the map work is very cool and the idea is timeless. Speaking of time, tis very short. This is something she'll carry with her for sure and always take her back to a relaxing family adventure! ☠

Thanks everyone! At one point during Saturday, on the edge of the canyon rim, she blurted out “this is the best day ever!! “ At that point, I knew it was a success! Lots of fun I the outdoors without stupid electronics, perfect! I was just trying to create a good memory for her, and further push her adventurous passion. Including a Land Cruiser in the scenario doesn’t hurt either. ;)

As you said Kelly, even better “without the stupid dumbing down electronics” wise to raise a child with real world experiences. I am convinced their brains develop much more with these type of look and learn experiences. Also just talking to a child without the interruption of a cell phone. Ok I guess you can see I have a background in Education and Health Care..... Great post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom