FJ80 vs FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

🤣

"The 3FE has more torque off-road like than the FZJ80 motor / worse on the hwy, better on the trail."

He's gotta be on here.

@6:07 "Yeah but a 3FE has more torque off-road than the FZJ80 motor, so I think it's a little bit of a pay off there"

I had to watch it because I couldn't believe he said it. It would take some impressively misguided engineering to end up with less low-RPM torque from an engine with an extra 13% displacement.

@6:07 "Yeah but a 3FE has more torque off-road than the FZJ80 motor, so I think it's a little bit of a pay off there"

I had to watch it because I couldn't believe he said it. It would take some impressively misguided engineering to end up with less low-RPM torque from an engine with an extra 13% displacement.
Insert aphorism [whatever helps ya sleep at night]

The reason I recommend the 200 series is because the 5.7 I believe is a good motor and personally I like the engineering of the 200 better. The 100 is kind of in between Toyota going a step up in gadgetry between the 100 and 200 but it's kind of all a bit complicated and expensive to repair when there are problems.
Can't disagree but at 105,000 miles I just had to replace the radiator....Ouch $1,556 bill. Out of the three Land Cruisers I own I still prefer the 80. I believe it is the pinnacle of Toyota engineering and will not be replicated.

Alaska resident discusses a little bit of FJ80 vs. FZJ80 in the first video linked below, with his recently purchased FZJ80 featured. His conclusion: Most people won't opt for the FJ80 unless they find one very clean and/or relatively low cost. I think overall it's a fairly good guide for approaching the purchase of 80 series in general.

A few months later, blown head gasket. He's bummed, thinks it's going to be a PITA to replace.

His rig (with new headgasket) now FS on Marketplace. $30K! Log in or sign up to view - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2142739842562639/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A5800b678-bd18-47f5-87f0-2b649c879212

Alaska resident discusses a little bit of FJ80 vs. FZJ80 in the first video linked below, with his recently purchased FZJ80 featured. His conclusion: Most people won't opt for the FJ80 unless they find one very clean and/or relatively low cost. I think overall it's a fairly good guide for approaching the purchase of 80 series in general.

A few months later, blown head gasket. He's bummed, thinks it's going to be a PITA to replace.

His rig (with new headgasket) now FS on Marketplace. $30K! Log in or sign up to view - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2142739842562639/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A5800b678-bd18-47f5-87f0-2b649c879212

I’m sure he’s a nice dude and hope he gets every red cent, but seems a bit out of touch with his understanding of the 80 series market.

Perhaps AK is somehow different, but I’d be hard pressed to offer him $3K for his traphouse 80. If it was a 3FE, he’d have to pay me a junk be gone fee.

People, don’t buy a quarter century old LC in the USA if you don’t budget for a refresh. Adjusted for inflation, it’s a 200 series value vehicle with peak Toyota LC 90s design. No real life 80 series owner friend of mine doesn’t understand that it’s a pay to play game thus a factory locked 1FZ world we live in.

Be thankful that Toyota still stocks factory fresh parts for a long block rebuild. Get in while you can.

Last edited:
One is slow

The other is even slower

One is slow

The other is even slower
Remembering back to when my 93 was bone stock, it seemed sufficiently powered and drove like a slot car compared to now.

People don’t need more horse power, we all need more patience. When I step out of my pick up and into my cruiser, I assume a much different set of expectations which forces me to act with something closer to grown up sort of patience.

I’m sure he’s a nice dude and hope he gets every red cent, but seems a bit out of touch with his understanding of the 80 series market.

Perhaps AK is somehow different, but I’d be hard pressed to offer him $3K for his traphouse 80. If it was a 3FE, he’d have to pay me a junk be gone fee...
If anything the difference here is that prices tend to be lower for 80s. He's dreaming on the price, for sure.

That guy is.. interesting. I’ve watched a handful (of pieces) of his videos in the past year.

People here tend to think even a solid/reasonable deal on an 80 is too high, because of age and mileage perceptions they don’t understand, unless they know exactly what they’re looking at and are actively into it. If I ever sold mine, I don’t think I’d consider NOT taking a road trip down south to do so.

However, there’s usually a battle when someone lists an overpriced rusty Tacoma.

Last edited:
In the last couple years we have rebuilt a half dozen 1FZFE’s.

Mine: killed from low oil, conrod bearings let go. HG original at 200,000. Mine is no slug, it happily cruises at 80-85mph, I often have to back off because it just wants more. It is no v8 or race car either though.

#1: 365,000 miles, still going on OG HG.

#2: 400,000 miles, still going on OG HG.

#3: 375,000 miles, still going on OG HG.

We have a 97 at the shop, DoA with 470,000 miles. No idea if it is on the OG head gasket but it looks untouched.

10yrs ago I hated the 1FZFE because I too thought they we slugs. Building my engine changed my mind. I am still not a fan of the engine bay layout, it is a pita to work on. I blame that on 1990’s engineering.

Cheers

What

Perhaps AK is somehow different, but I’d be hard pressed to offer him $3K for his traphouse 80. If it was a 3FE, he’d have to pay me a junk be gone fee.

People, don’t buy a quarter century old LC in the USA if you don’t budget for a refresh. Adjusted for inflation, it’s a 200 series value vehicle with peak Toyota LC 90s design. No real life 80 series owner friend of mine doesn’t understand that it’s a pay to play game thus a factory locked 1FZ world we live in.

Be thankful that Toyota still stocks factory fresh parts for a long block rebuild. Get in while you can.
What do you mean by traphouse? The fact that the HG was replaced and surfaces possibly machined, creating issues later on???? And now its not worth as much? If you do the HG after it overheats is there an issue with cracking or warping? If u do the HG as preventive maintenance do u have known issues as well? Anyone out there know, thanks

Last edited:

Mine: killed from low oil, conrod bearings let go. HG original at 200,000. Mine is no slug, it happily cruises at 80-85mph, I often have to back off because it just wants more. It is no v8 or race car either though.

We have a 97 at the shop, DoA with 470,000 miles. No idea if it is on the OG head gasket but it looks untouched.

10yrs ago I hated the 1FZFE because I too thought they we slugs. Building my engine changed my mind. I am still not a fan of the engine bay layout, it is a pita to work on. I blame that on 1990’s engineering.

Cheers
Finally, some truth from a professional in the area of LandCruisers. They had me at 7 main bearings. The engine bay layout makes working on it difficult? Bahahahaha! Obviously you haven’t worked on airplanes.

Cheers
What about the engine bay makes it a PITA to work on? Is it mainly a hassle for LHD Cruisers since it was designed for RHD?

Also, I wonder if the 1FZ’s sluggish reputation has to do with them losing compression over the years; it sounds like after you rebuilt yours the power was notably increased.
What

What do you mean by traphouse? The fact that the HG was replaced and surfaces possibly machined, creating issues later on???? And now its not worth as much? If you do the HG after it overheats is there an issue with cracking or warping? If u do the HG as preventive maintenance do u have known issues as well? Anyone out there know, thanks
I think he may be referring to the cosmetic condition of the vehicle in question. There’s debate on here on whether you can machine a 1FZ head. I think the FSM tells you to use a new one if it’s out of spec. But I don’t feel qualified to comment either way.

I think the engine bay was designed for a diesel. It fits far better, is far easier to work on and is even easier to take out or put in. It is a pita to work on with a 1FZFE because it is cluttered. Changed a PHH before or even a fuel filter? Then you know what I mean. 😉

I didn’t rebuild mine, I built a new engine from the short block up. I think they get sluggish from the TB and intake getting clogged up along with a few other things.

Cheers

I think the engine bay was designed for a diesel. It fits far better, is far easier to work on and is even easier to take out or put in. It is a pita to work on with a 1FZFE because it is cluttered. Changed a PHH before or even a fuel filter? Then you know what I mean. 😉

I didn’t rebuild mine, I built a new engine from the short block up. I think they get sluggish from the TB and intake getting clogged up along with a few other things.

Cheers

The NGOs only chose HZJ80s, and Toyota made them perfect for the role. Gas models with all our demanded cushy comforts are never far from sophisticated repair facilities.

I think the FSM tells you to use a new one if it’s out of spec. But I don’t feel qualified to comment either way.
I’m not qualified either, but factually, you’re right. It is in the FSM. I got around to verifying it for myself after OGBeno posted on the topic as such.

It’s much more common for owners to deck 1FZ-FE heads than follow FSM guidance buying new. I’m guessing a factor of 100:1? 🤷🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom