FJ80 cabin air intake (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interested in what folks come up with. There's a layer of dust in the truck after every trip on dirt roads :)

I have never removed my blower motor, but would it be an option to put a filter right up stream of that, rather than in the intake/cowling?

That's how the wife's RX300 is set up, inside after the blower, if memory serves well.

Modern Lexus and Toyota cars use a flat panel ac filter above the fan motor. The LX470/100 series has a slot for a fancy two piece ac filter in front of the ac core behind the glove box.

The filters for most household hepa air cleaners can be trimmed to make a filter, question is, where to put it?

I'm thinking about a custom housing to slot it in front of the ac evaporator like on the LX470 but that would be a LOT of work.

Putting one into the cowl could work, but it can collect dirt just sitting there. Or if there's mud/dirt sprayed onto the hood, your filter would plug up PDQ.

I think a trimmed HEPA filter might be too much restriction on the air flow - and that they're usually paper filters that won't survive the water coming in through those vents.

Hmm...

Here's a bad idea going in the other direction of form vs function...

Build a half-round duct work connecting the two vents together on top of the hood. Then cap it with a cyclonic filter right in the middle.

Functional, but the form would be hideous.

Maybe a simple sheet of home AC filter material would help some. The black kind. It would catch dust and can get wet without damage. You might have to clean/change it more often than HEPA/paper but it's better than nothing. And cheap.
I just checked my intake the other day and it's clear or I'd probably try it now.

I've used trimmed hepa filters to replace cabin filters before, but they're inside the car not under the cowl

Did you guys give up on the idea or what. I have just dismantled my 80 dash to clean out the feshfesh and dust. It stank when I got her and needed this clean.

I agree that a solution needs to be found.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427998321.007604.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427998341.285649.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427998366.274485.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427998398.210412.jpg

I will be working out a solution over the next few days and will post them here.

How did you get at the screw behind/under the PS fixed vent?

Been thinking about this myself, definitely interested in seeing the solution.

Went outside and took some pictures. So that my brain can do the work while I sleep and hopefully I'll wake up with the solution and go running outside to get it done : )

That what it looks like from the vents in front of the windscreen of the funnel that leads to the blower

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428007693.633329.jpg

And from the inside, passenger side footwell looking up through the blower funnel

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428007743.120335.jpg

The topside of the blower hole

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428007797.087580.jpg

So I will come back with a feasible solution. Will visit the junkyard to see other blowers

Good idea, were do other similar vehicle put the filters, just after the blower motor up above the front right side footwell?

Last edited:
Here are some example I just got from the net

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428011979.622370.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428011996.856085.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428012008.107044.jpg

This is how it should have been.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428012030.125456.jpg

I'm thinking of doing something like this. Forgive the quick sketch but getting excited.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428012890.428711.jpg

The idea is to open through the top and make a waterproof cap screwed into the top which holds a circular filter that will sit on a cap to the existing funnel which leads to the blower. Easy to service and still allows the air to travel down through the vents but no dust and water can get through.

That the first idea. Still cooking

Subscribed

The one behind the vent surrounded by the blue tape. I had to destroy mine to get it out.
View attachment 1055172

Ok got you. No idea. : )

You see this all came about when I got a short on my harness and I took it to the electrician to trace the problem. So he had actually removed the dash. So he would have removed that screw.

Once he had fixed the problem I was like don't put it back together I'll take her home like that coz i need to clean her up.

So I only removed the ac heater blower and cross member support.

But I can check in the FSM for you.

Also I plan on asking him to come over when I want to put her back together. That was the deal anyway. I'm just cleaning it.

Pictures of the firewall

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428014077.616368.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428014093.317204.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom