FJ75 3F Timing Gear replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_20230323_162205.jpg

Lost all compressions suddenly. Checked and timing was off. 516,000km on the clock. Bought oem fibre gear and cover gasket

Removed:
- Radiator
- AC cooler
- Light panel
- Bullbar
- Belts

This is my first "real" Landcruiser as I had prados before. It was very easy to work on. Everything were bolted and nothing welded.

It does take time.

IMG_20230325_121112.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to fabricate a pulley holder until saw them only $30 at Sydney Tools. Makes removing the huge nut easy.

2.JPG

46mm socket and impact gun to release the big nut (not bolt!) Then use a harmonic balancer puller

3.JPG

4.JPG

IMG_20230325_131136.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the timing cover (keep bolts in order as they are different sizes) and here we can see the problem.

I align the new timing gear cam notch against the old one.

Where the old one's dot marker align with steel gear, the new one is almost 90deg out!!

Hence the old timing gear has rotated on its own steel centre. There was no broken teeth.

As a result the timings were all off and all cylinders could not compress.

5.JPG

I initiallly suspected this issue after reading the forum post here:

Mine is not bad as his, as he could wiggle the fibre part by hand. Mine was still tight, just out of alignment.

Last edited:
Finally pulled the Timing Cam after some minor "drama".

The cylindrical valve lifter would not come out although the service manual simply say to pull them out using a wire.

The lifters would slide very easily but when pulled out it would stuck. So perhaps the bottom part has enlarged or "mushroomed" due to age

So I simply lift them high enough using pliers. And when that wasn't strong enough used a motorbike brake caliper puller to wiggle them high enough

Capture.JPG

IMG_20230326_103912[1].jpg

Apparently this is a common issue. There are some instructions on Youtube if need to really take them out

View attachment 3281376

Lost all compressions suddenly. Checked and timing was off. 516,000km on the clock. Bought oem fibre gear and cover gasket

516,000 km... amazing. How's she been running otherwise?

Loving this in-depth dive into your repair.

View attachment 3283950

I initiallly suspected this issue after reading the forum post here:

Mine is not bad as his, as he could wiggle the fibre part by hand. Mine was still tight, just out of alignment.
Ah, this brings back some memories...and a little PTSD:p. Glad my post could help someone out and like you I am surprised this is not seen more often given the number of high mileage 3F's in the world and a critical component made of plastic and metal.

Ah, this brings back some memories...and a little PTSD:p. Glad my post could help someone out and like you I am surprised this is not seen more often given the number of high mileage 3F's in the world and a critical component made of plastic and metal.

Indeed! First I didn't realise that the timing gear wasn't solid metal (anymore) then I found out this was never mentioned in the official Toyota service manual. Had this been a scheduled replacement every 300,000km or so it would have never been an issue.

So yes, your experience had helped me *a lot* as I was scratching my head what could be wrong.
Even the first symptom you mentioned - cylinder 1 & 6 rocker positioning - was enough to give me "a..ha!"

Thanks again :cool:

Inspection of the camshaft reveals amazing condition at 1/2 million km!

1.JPG

I invested $150 for a small shop press to take out the timing gear. I have read other method involving chisel etc. with the cam installed but having seen how tight it is pressed I'm glad I took this path. Plus considering other future use of the tool. A 19mm socket was perfect to push out the gear

2.JPG

I initially use the fibre part to push against, expecting an easy push. However it was very tight and I didn't want to break the fibre.

I then rested it against the thrust washer and it was fine and didn't damage/bend the washer.

3.JPG

Last edited:
Another photo showing the slipped old timing gear.

I guess I am "lucky" that the slip is quite significant and simply stops the engine from working.

Had it only slipped a bit like 10-15 deg, the engine might still be running continuously -- but with long term damage like burning valves etc.

4.JPG

Is it fair to say, this is a “interference “ engine? No bent valves, pushrods or piston damage? The crank had to have made a few revolutions before it stopped running.

Is it fair to say, this is a “interference “ engine? No bent valves, pushrods or piston damage? The crank had to have made a few revolutions before it stopped running.

You mean "non-interference"? Yes. when the pistons are at their TDC they don't hit the valves. At least that's what I read about 3F and my experience.

I did read some ppl who lost their timing still could bend their valves when running on the freeway. Perhaps at a higher RPM the valve float is enough to hit the pistons. Not sure.

Pressing the new timing gear to the camshaft is done using 36mm socket.

5.JPG

Ensure correct orientation of circlip

6.JPG

Measurement spec for thrust washer is 0.2mm - 0.29mm. Mine is at 0.25mm

1680592225822.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom