FJ62 Transmission fluid coming out of dipstick tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ohh boy. Here we go again. I spend a few weeks getting this old gal to pass emissions, and on our first trip to Idaho post smog pass, and things go sideways. Driving along at a cool 72 miles per, and about 90 miles into our 100 mile trip, I feel the torque converter unlock, while I'm pulling a small hill. I let off the throttle and coast a little, and then accelerate again. Definitely not locking. We exit, drive slow to my parent's house, noting that the trans is shifting fine 1-3, no slipping, and then assess the damage once we're there. I immediately suspect a blown line, but all line's look intact. There is a healthy amount of fluid splashed on the passenger front's rear spring perch, as well as dripping down the dipstick tube. Fairly certain that's where it came from.

I messaged a buddy of mine who is a Cruiser mechanic, and he can't imagine that it's good, but the fluid loss is the culprit of the unlocking torque converter. Next morning we run to Crapa, throw in a quart of ATF, and she drives perfectly fine. Even locks up on time. Hoping that the fluid loss was due to a bad o-ring in the dipstick tube, we make the journey home yesterday. Again, within exits of our destination, torque converter unlocks. I pull over, note the copious amounts of fluid actively dripping from the dipstick tube, top it off. And limp it home.

What's ticking it off, and pushing fluid out of the dipstick tube? I feel like replacing that o-ring is just a bandaid, and there are larger issues at play here, but could it be something mechanical in the trans has failed, or maybe a blocked line to or from the cooler? I'm afraid our timeline for the 5-speed swap has been pushed up.. But hoping it's a simple fix. I'm all ears, Cruiserheads. :popcorn:

IMG-6885.JPG

IMG-6887.JPG

I had a fluid leak a while back spraying around the passenger floorboard .
Mine was caused by the Rubber ATF return line not being attached to the dipstick tube (5 or 6 inches below the top of the dipstick tube)
Check to see if it wasn’t dislodged somehow. Mine was dislodged after changing spark plugs, I never even noticed.
You should also follow the return line back to the tranny in case it’s leaking mid way or not connected to the trans.

Last edited:
I had a fluid leak a while back spraying around the passenger floorboard .
Mine was caused by the Rubber ATF return line not being attached to the dipstick tube (5 or 6 inches below the top of the dipstick tube)
Check to see if it wasn’t dislodged somehow. Mine was dislodged after changing spark plugs, I never even noticed.
You should also follow the return line back to the tranny in case it’s leaking mid way or not connected to the trans.
I checked that line, and it is hooked up, but I wonder if maybe it's dried out or cracked? But I'll look closer at the return lines. Thanks for the tip!

Hi, When's the last time the trans. Filter was cleaned ? Mike

Just in case anyone ever sees this, and is curious what happened, that automatic is now sitting on the ground behind a shop in Heber haha. In it's place is a shiny new H55. We could have spent the money to pull it apart and diagnose further, but it would have been a waste. I've been eyeing a 5 speed since day 1. ZERO regrets.

Ohh boy. Here we go again. I spend a few weeks getting this old gal to pass emissions, and on our first trip to Idaho post smog pass, and things go sideways. Driving along at a cool 72 miles per, and about 90 miles into our 100 mile trip, I feel the torque converter unlock, while I'm pulling a small hill. I let off the throttle and coast a little, and then accelerate again. Definitely not locking. We exit, drive slow to my parent's house, noting that the trans is shifting fine 1-3, no slipping, and then assess the damage once we're there. I immediately suspect a blown line, but all line's look intact. There is a healthy amount of fluid splashed on the passenger front's rear spring perch, as well as dripping down the dipstick tube. Fairly certain that's where it came from.

I messaged a buddy of mine who is a Cruiser mechanic, and he can't imagine that it's good, but the fluid loss is the culprit of the unlocking torque converter. Next morning we run to Crapa, throw in a quart of ATF, and she drives perfectly fine. Even locks up on time. Hoping that the fluid loss was due to a bad o-ring in the dipstick tube, we make the journey home yesterday. Again, within exits of our destination, torque converter unlocks. I pull over, note the copious amounts of fluid actively dripping from the dipstick tube, top it off. And limp it home.

What's ticking it off, and pushing fluid out of the dipstick tube? I feel like replacing that o-ring is just a bandaid, and there are larger issues at play here, but could it be something mechanical in the trans has failed, or maybe a blocked line to or from the cooler? I'm afraid our timeline for the 5-speed swap has been pushed up.. But hoping it's a simple fix. I'm all ears, Cruiserheads. :popcorn:

View attachment 2101439

View attachment 2101440

View attachment 2101439

View attachment 2101440
Hi. Question regarding that dipstick tube portion that is attached to the pan: is that supposed to have a seal, o-ring, or sealant at the top?

Haha I was reading that whole thread like it was real time, didn’t look at the date of posting.
H55F = Best thread outcome EVER!!
Me too bro! Having gone from a truck with the auto to this h55, it’s so much more engaging to drive.

Would have liked to have seen you check line pressure before ditching the A440f.

Hi. Question regarding that dipstick tube portion that is attached to the pan: is that supposed to have a seal, o-ring, or sealant at the top?
The joint between the pan and the actual dipstick should have an o-ring.

Would have liked to have seen you check line pressure before ditching the A440f.
For sure, but that trans was so tired even when it wasn't overheating. Power to the ground sucked, the output shaft was worn, so the reverse clunk could be felt instead of just heard, and it had 260k without a rebuild. The shop that pulled it wasn't too interested into really looking into the source of the nuclear meltdown.

Oddly enough while mine was sitting waiting on a new radiator (week and a half). I notice a transmission fluid on the ground. Then I find this. Trying to understand why Oring is split like this. Do I need to assume there is a further issue?

40670D0A-906D-477C-9A27-46288C15A42C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom