FJ62 starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok I've tried to search on this problem and found nothing so far. I have a 90 FJ62, that has problems starting when the gas tank is not full. I have tried replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and that has not fixed it. It will start very quickly when the tank is full, but the lower the tank gets the harder it is to start. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

whoa

Holy crap i have the exact same problem and came here searching for an answer. I have replaced the fuel filter on mine with no effect. Also as the gas gets lower the idle gets rougher and rougher. I know there was a recall on the gas tank way back when, could this be the problem that it solved and has never been done to this particular vehicle? Hope someone out there can point out what is wrong so i can fix it finally :)

drop the tank, my guess is that there is a leak(or leaks) within the tank somehow, either leaking air into the suction of the pump as the level in the tank is less than full, or bleeding off pressure on the discharge side of the pump. just a guess, but someone may have reinstalled the pump incorrectly after getting the recall done.

you may have a defective check valve in the fuelpump.

I've dropped the tank and pulled out the pump. The pump itself seems to be fine, but the rubber line connecting the pump to the metal fuel line going out of the tank has a hole in it, going to see about getting some new tube and getting it hooked back up today. :bounce2:

i am going to tag along on this one. sounds like it might be what mines doin? But i never pay attention to how much gas it has. ya'll who have this issue explain more as to what the hard start sounds like and how the idle acts. my idle is rather rough at times and i dont know why.

Yeah, i had a starting problem with mine last week when i bought it. Problem was when i finally got it started (lack of fuel because it had been sitting for months), yeah, a freakin piston came loose of the crankshaft and busted a nice hole in the side of the block. My vote is don't try and start the car anymore, or you might blow the load!!!

Generally it is a "pickup tube" problem in the tank like that. Stuff just gets old after many many years. It gets old and brittle with holes in it or whatever from people only putting $5 of gas in at a time, so it dries out quicker also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom