Builds FJ62 Overland Build on a Budget (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

These forums have been the BEST resource for us to work on our 1988 Toyota FJ62 LandCruiser and get it ready for months of travel!!

Here are some videos from our build on YouTube, I'll add more as the build goes. If you're interested check back through our videos for the whole story.

We hope we inspire others to go on a crazy ride and honestly life is waaaaay to short to drive a boring car!!!

I got a second old school fuel cap, pulled gasket out, slipped it over the original gasket. Thus I have two gaskets on one cap and it seal, marvelously well.

Cheers!

I don't know whether anyone else has had as much trouble as us getting their suspension out but here's our latest little adventure:

This may come as a shock but we got our rear springs in!
This video is long, I started out trying to explain why we chose the suspension we did and then I showed all the little hurdles that you encounter when you're putting springs in. I had no idea which way around the leaf springs went so hopefully this one can help anyone like us who's attempting this for the 1st time.
I hope everyone is well!!!
Ben

We got the Iron Man Springs into the front of our Fj62 Land Cruiser!! Pretty happy with this video and it's much shorter than the last one:

This is the 1st time I really tried to make a 'how to' instead of just a DIY video. We hadn't been able to find a good tutorial for the 1988 FJ62 Drum Brakes so we were just trying to share what we learnt, hopefully this helps someone:

Front discs are in and super rusty from the Florida humidity.

Here's a little step by step video we put together. I hope it helps a fellow DIY driveway mechanic

My God, 60 series suspension components are a PITA to get removed. They must have used some sort of bonding agent on the hanger and shackle bolts to encourage them to grow together with the bushings.
Yup, the correct way to remove is for sure with tools that just cut everything out. If I did it again I’d buy tools and save myself a week of being dirty.

I think there is a little bogan/redneck in everyone and I am not at all ashamed to say that the sound of a custom exhaust system is what really brings mine out.

Check how good this sounds!!

Great progress Ben and Sofia!! It's almost to the point that you can hit the road!!!

This one is bound to be a little controversial. I know it's sacrilege to modify the body but it's going to be so much stronger and easier to maintain.

Absolutely love your videos! I'm right there with you as far as doing stuff in the driveway and not in some sterile TV studio. Good luck and safe travels!

Absolutely love your videos! I'm right there with you as far as doing stuff in the driveway and not in some sterile TV studio. Good luck and safe travels!
That’s so nice!! Thank you so much for the lovely feedback we really, really appreciate it!!

To add to my challenges I’m going to be losing the driveway one month from today and will be moving into an apartment so I’m rushing to finish as much as I can before then..

Safe travels to you too!! Hopefully you have as many dry days as possible to get your car work done.

My God, 60 series suspension components are a PITA to get removed. They must have used some sort of bonding agent on the hanger and shackle bolts to encourage them to grow together with the bushings.
Yeah tell me about it sucked big time and the day was the hottest day of the year and I was working out in the heat. There was no way to get the both pushed out of the bushing. So I had to use a torch to torch the bushing so the bolt can be pulled out. I think it was a mistake buying that spring set for the 60 because even though it said it was for a 60 the Springs were to f****** stiff I mean my God the day after I drove it I felt like the Axel was welded to the frame. I just hit a small pothole or a dirt dirt rods off of the pavement and a kick the flipping truck up in the air I mean we almost hit the roof. Cause a lot of pain in my wife's back cuz she has a car injury from 18 years before that. It's offered up quite a bit but my God maybe I should just sell my truck and buy a Toyota Tacoma

Our plans to get on the road keep getting pushed back due to needing to stay in Miami for work so we're going all in. This shouldn't take too long to do but it will for sure fix a lot of problems we're having with our ruined back doors and the fact Sofia can't reach over the tailgate:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom