FJ62 mirror disassembly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I remove the glass from the FJ62 power mirrors? I need to get back in there and look at the power motors.

Thanks!

aint gonna happen, ive tried with 3 mirrors and those screws inside just wont budge

Hell, I couldn't ever get the non-powered units apart.

aint gonna happen, ive tried with 3 mirrors and those screws inside just wont budge

Try givin 'em a squirt of Kroil and letting that soak in?

Ok, so I need to remove the mirror glass and motor as one unit?

If that's case, do I:
  1. Saturate the motor screws with PB or Kroil for a few days.
  2. Pray.
  3. Then try removing those screws with a right angle screwdriver.

the screws are all into plastics, so good luck with it,

the one screw you want out to start is 'under/inside' the mirror, i hate to say it, but i think them mirrors are a lost cause

In general you have to break the glass & pry it out to get at the motor assembly. Any decent auto glass shop can replace it with the correct non-glare mirror blanks by Burco. We used to charge $35 apiece plus tax.

If your motor doesn't work it can be electrical, mechanical, or both. Generally (again) the little parts aren't available separately, particularly on a 20+ yr-old vehicle. There are usually 2 motors that turn screws in & out to pivot in both planes. They're tricky to disassemble/reassemble, & all the parts have to be in their proper places, unbroken. And there's a universal pivot in the center or separate horizontal & vertical ones (If I ever had a 62 mirror apart I don't remember specifically).

You'll learn some new words putting one back together: usually quite a puzzle & a dexterity challenge.

k i just recently installed 62 mirrors on my 60 and both the glass mirrors were broke. so i ordered them and they just glued to the back plates which just snapped onto the pivots from what i can remember. So you should be able to pop the mirror and back plate off by just prying and have access to the motors. And thats all if i remember correctly.

k i just recently installed 62 mirrors on my 60 and both the glass mirrors were broke. so i ordered them and they just glued to the back plates which just snapped onto the pivots from what i can remember. So you should be able to pop the mirror and back plate off by just prying and have access to the motors. And thats all if i remember correctly.

It's possible, but VEEEERRRRY easy to crack the glass. Ask me how I know :bang:

My experience with 80 series mirrors, which I believe are built the same way, would be to remove the mirror and get the plastic nice and warm. Once its warmed up, gently pry behind the glass with as wide as a tool as possible to distribute the pressure and hopefully the glass will pop out off the motor assembly.

I have had no luck with this, good luck ,keep us posted. MIke

Screw the glass - it's cheap! Break it & get on with the job. It should come out 1st & go in last.

Not sure about 62 mirrors but lots of others have holes in the backing plate so you can get to the adjusting posts. That's essential when you're re-assembling them.

Mdennis - if you glued the glass to the plates & then snapped them in you got exceedingly lucky. I wouldn't take the chance.

I'm resurrecting this thread because the paint (over the OEM plastic chrome) is peeling bad and I want to strip it completely, dechrome it properly and prep it right before painting it again. I found the Burco replacement glass on Amazon listed as in stock, so I'll order that and just go ahead and shatter the glass that's in there to hopefully access the screws for the motor mechanism. If I have any luck, I'll update. If not, I'll curse a lot and hate my mirrors.

STOP!!! You can pop the pad that the glass is on off the assembly itself. There are 4 balls in sockets that connect the pad to the motor. It's easy to crack the glass, but that can be replaced. The biggest thing is not breaking the pad. I broke the sockets on my driver side mirror, and haven't had a mirror in a long time... Where do I get a new pad??? I'll post pics tomorrow of my mirror

STOP!!! You can pop the pad that the glass is on off the assembly itself. There are 4 balls in sockets that connect the pad to the motor. It's easy to crack the glass, but that can be replaced. The biggest thing is not breaking the pad. I broke the sockets on my driver side mirror, and haven't had a mirror in a long time... Where do I get a new pad??? I'll post pics tomorrow of my mirror
I had actually tried that in the past, but the glass still broke. Once I have replacement glass in hand I'll try it again, but I'm not expecting to avoid breaking it.

IMG_20200418_101013.jpg

I'd be nice if you could get a small spreader of some sort in there so you wouldn't be spreading out the stress on the pad or mounting points. I'm much more concerned about those than the glass itself.

If you look at my pad on the left, at least one of those sockets has broken over the years. Hence, the reason I need a new pad... What I want to know is if the aftermarket manual mirrors will work if I drop the guts of the motorized mirror in the aftermarket shell

Gidday team. Thought I would chime in here as Ive just been working on this today and manage successfully to remove the glass without breaking any of the sockets, but I did manage to break one glass. Okay for me as I have a spare.
My question is has anyone got the aftermarket ones and tried to implant the mechanism into these yet? I am apprehensive to try yet as I have concerns the screw holes wont be in the same place...
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom