FJ62 Hella Halogen Headlight Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fzj80 1997

SILVER Star
Threads
I see these headlights on TLC 4x4 builds and the ones that Corsetti Cruisers does. Anyone on here know the part numbers and what exactly needs to be done to fit these headlights? They look really good on the truck imo. Makes things more modern looking without looking like it doesn’t belong. Thanks

6987C589-CD89-4447-AB42-A996DE082C13.png

Changing anything with the 62 headlights requires upgrading the headlight wiring harness with a harness that been proven to work properly on that vehicle. If you don't - you'll pay the ultimate price. The 62s (as opposed to the 60s) headlight wiring was designed in a different solar system.

I don't know what kind of housings those are, but the theory remains the same:

and:

You'll need the housings, bulbs, and a harness (either homemade or bought as a kit)....lots of options for all of it.

Upgraded to Hella Lamps and H4 Bulbs. Hella recommends using a wiring harness adapter. Contacted Susquehanna Motor Sports spoke with Will. I opted for their wiring harness upgrade, haven't received it yet. For now I just have the driving lights plugged in to the stock harness. Remarkable improvement can't wait for the new harness.
:beer:

Upgraded to Hella Lamps and H4 Bulbs. Hella recommends using a wiring harness adapter. Contacted Susquehanna Motor Sports spoke with Will. I opted for their wiring harness upgrade, haven't received it yet. For now I just have the driving lights plugged in to the stock harness. Remarkable improvement can't wait for the new harness.

do you happen to have a link for the housings you used?

Got the 4X6 Hella lamps and H4 Bulbs from my local NAPA Auto Parts. I can get the Hella part Number when I get home this evening.

As requested.

9BBF77BB-FA8F-4200-BEF6-1684BE112D3F.jpeg

A56D5B39-02D5-49C3-A11F-C680A6A78AFC.jpeg

618FE437-3AAD-42AC-9884-4EFCC3631974.jpeg

858805CD-27D2-4AA9-93D1-2696704C7B2E.jpeg

I will share what happenned to me just dropping the Hella H4 and H1 conversion in 15 years ago with the factory harness. They worked for about a week before I lost contol of the highbeam on/offf function and had to replace the switch. After contacting hella they walked me through how to install relays and I forget no thanks to the miracle of time but I don't recall an aftermarket harness being available back then but I've been wrong before. The Hella tech advisor for the US was extremely knowledgable and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to call him with any questions. It has everything to do with the 62 series headlight grounding.

Got my wiring harness upgrade from Susquehanna Motor Sports. Beefy to say the least. 12 ga. Wire, ceramic connectors. High Quality and craftsmanship.

44C8E074-8C97-4752-A69F-B69FFFBF9DB7.jpeg

45E39D58-21A1-457D-8774-BA8E301A9CE8.jpeg

Got my wiring harness upgrade from Susquehanna Motor Sports. Beefy to say the least. 12 ga. Wire, ceramic connectors. High Quality and craftsmanship.

Bit of an old thread but am currently shopping for lighting upgrades on my '88 62 and leaning towards this wiring and Hella 003177862/003177871. Any input on how it is working for you? How was the install?

Bit of an old thread but am currently shopping for lighting upgrades on my '88 62 and leaning towards this wiring and Hella 003177862/003177871. Any input on how it is working for you? How was the install?
If you upgrade from the sealed beams to H4 housings and you just run the basic 55/60 watt H4 bulbs your stock harness will work without issue. The newer harnesses won't hurt and will slightly increase your brightness at idle and when the revs come up....Where a new harness will benefit you the most is if you decide to up the wattage on the H1/H4 bulbs to say 55/100 and 100 watts then your new harness will perform better and be a lot safer.

I see these headlights on TLC 4x4 builds and the ones that Corsetti Cruisers does. Anyone on here know the part numbers and what exactly needs to be done to fit these headlights? They look really good on the truck imo. Makes things more modern looking without looking like it doesn’t belong. Thanks

View attachment 2278473
These type of lights are often referred to as Freeform. They use perfectly clear lenses and create the light pattern in the shape of the reflector. I believe IPF claims a 30% increase in light output by eliminating the pattern from the lens itself.

If you upgrade from the sealed beams to H4 housings and you just run the basic 55/60 watt H4 bulbs your stock harness will work without issue. The newer harnesses won't hurt and will slightly increase your brightness at idle and when the revs come up....Where a new harness will benefit you the most is if you decide to up the wattage on the H1/H4 bulbs to say 55/100 and 100 watts then your new harness will perform better and be a lot safer.
Thanks. Is Susquehanna a good place to buy an upgraded harness? I had seen lots of mention of a MUD member selling one but seems to not be anymore.

Also, what is the correct part number for for Hella Headlamp replacements? Have seen mention of several including below and not sure what if any difference there is.

High Beam H1: 003177871
Low Beam H4: 003177862
and
High Beam H1: 003177061
Low Beam H4: 003177001

Plenty of info in here.

Plenty of info in here.
Thanks. Have seen that but curious if there is any diff between M002/M004 harness and this one: https://www.rallylights.com/hl282s-upgrade-headlamp-harness-for-switched-ground-vehicles.html

If memory serves, some have used Susq kit you linked to successfully, some IPF/Hella successfully. I believe they are similar but follow whatever the instructions say and reference the lessons learned here. Either option should achieve the same results.

I used IPF/Hella harness from Cruiser Outfitters and housings, bulbs, and adapters from Susq. Both were great to work with and followed up via phone to ensure I had what I needed.

Call Susq if you have specific questions. They have the right answers and parts. Keep in mind that whatever you order may not be immediately available due to supply chain issues. I had multi-week wait times with Cruiser Outfitters and Susq.

At the end of the day, there is no true plug-and-play harness swap. IPF/Hella and Susq. are as close as you can get, but they still require the end-user/installer to make individual decisions (e.g. where you want to mount your relays - they aren’t small). You also have to decide what housings and bulbs you want. It’s entirely your preference.

Review info, make a decision, take action, work through little technical problems, and you’ll be rewarded with an amazing difference in light quality/output.

Good luck!

One other thought - depending on the condition of your 62, be prepared for it to take an order of magnitude longer to remove 16 little headlight retainer ring screws than it does to install the entire harness, 4 housings, and 4 bulbs. I wish I was joking but I’m not.

The devil is in the details.

Last edited:
It's a Jam Up harness, super easy to install and haven't had any issues at all, well worth the money. You'll be shocked at the lighting upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom