Wanted FJ62 for $4-6K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys,

I bought an 1997 LX450 here in Austin and now am searching for a an FJ62.

It has to be an FJ62 (Automatic) and I'm looking for a daily driver.

I read a lot of postings and see "regulars" commenting that there are FJ62 trucks for sale on MUD for $4k-6k.

Here is one of the threads for example: https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj60-fj62-bj60-hj61/648839-opinions-62-a.html

WHERE ARE THESE TRUCKS YOU SPEAK OF? :)

If my expectations are off, please tell me.

Why can't I find an FJ62? Something that I can get for $4-6K with NO RUST, NO DAMAGE and everything works.

If you know of anything, please tell me. Thanks!

No responses

Not a single response from the MUD community?

Seriously, someone tell me where these FJ62 cruisers are or tell me I'm crazy.

I'm fine either way, but just tired of reading about the elusive FJ62 that is priced appropriate.

Lowell

Mint?

Who said anything about "mint?"

I'm looking for a daily driver, not a trailer queen.

You know of anything out there?

Lowell

Well, for example this one just sold on MUD. I paid more for mine than you want to but they do come up in your price range. There was also that green one in CA that the guy kept dropping down, I think it was around 4k. Anyway, just keep looking, it will come, just takes time I think.

I have FJ62 1988 Toyota Landcruiser for sale.

Current registration and inspection. Clean texas title. 231,000 miles.
Runs and drives very good. Recent maintenance: new brake pads, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, oil + filter change, K&N air filter recharged, windshield wipers,
Mechanically great shape. Engine runs good, Overdrive tranny good, 4 wheel drive good.
Good glass, headliner, and all lights good shape. CD Radio stereo.
Body's good. It does have some dings and scratches, but overall it is solid. Has smaller rust spots that seem fairly common.

asking $4800 obo.
located at waxahachie, tx (just south of dallas).
i'd prefer it picked up by buyer, but could probably negotiate something.

email me for more pics.
here's the craigslist ad for it:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/3363098874.html

thanks guys!

I think that this:

If my expectations are off, please tell me.

Is what people might be getting at.

This:

Something that I can get for $4-6K with NO RUST, NO DAMAGE and everything works.

Is why you can't find an FJ62. You are essentially asking for a "mint" 62, as noted before.

As stated, 62s that good go for more than 4-6k. And the ones that don't are very few and far between, meaning you'll need to revise your timeline and may never find what you're looking for.

Here's my advice...

Update your expectations to real ones. At $4k you're going to have to do some work, period. I actually picked up a 62 in really good shape for an amazing $2250 from a guy in Portland but it has a bit of rust (nothing costly), had a bunch of detail-oriented stuff that needed help (various lightbulbs out, broken radio antenna, cleaning, wipers, power locks didn't work [that was a circuit breaker], etc...annoying but easy stuff), and has some of the normal 62 style stuff (slow windows, a door lock actuator that doesn't work) wrong.

Plan on doing stuff like that and you can find a good running cruiser for cheaper than what you're even asking. And finding a good drivetrain and engine is what counts in my opinion. With that, the other things can come in time, as long as you don't have floor panels rusting out and things like that. Nothing major.

Revise your timeline and take your time finding a 62. Search CL within a 2-500 mile radius (or more if you're so inclined) and Mud. It took over a month to find mine which isn't even that long in the grand scheme. Plan on getting to know it a little when you get it and you can save a bunch of money. Unless you find a steal, at that price you're still going to have to do some resto work anyway. Nothing too major, but still.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks and a question.

Thanks for the feedback.

According to your post, it took you one month to find a $2250 cruiser that needed some cosmetic repairs.

I don't want to make the wrong assumption so is that right?

Just for entertainment, let's say you sink $4,000 in to repair the cosmetic issues....

Now you have a daily driver with no rust (since you repaired it), no damage and almost everything (90%+) works? For $6250.

It's not perfect but a good looking, functional daily driver.

And if you were to SELL it on MUD, what would you ask for your no rust, no damage, 90%+ working cruiser?

Just curious.....

Personally, it all depends. And to be honest I think the body work + paint will cost less than that 4k we're speaking of (...but I'm not sure. It's not major so it will be the last thing I do...). To another enthusiast, like on Mud, I'd be willing to be fair or even possibly more than fair knowing it's going to an enthusiast.

I've been a Subaru enthusiast for years. I recently sold my one-owner, modified WRX, put it on consignment with a dealership around here. Some guy came in and overpaid for the car which he bought for his *16 year old* son whom I'm SURE is beating the hell out of it right now. I'm glad he got took. I was ready to sell it to another enthusiast for $1000-1500 below what I could have gotten elsewhere because he was another enthusiast who I knew, knew the value of such a car.

It's kind of like that here, but I can't speak for everyone.

Personally...I'm not fixing up the Crusher to make money, so I'm going to sell it for what I've put it into it as long as it doesn't exceed fair market value. But that's me.

At any rate, I won't say it's impossible per se to find what you want for that price...but I think the point I'm trying to make is that you're probably going to have to do some work on any one you buy unless you spend some major cash for a fully restored model. But it's fun that way for me. I like to have that connection and knowledge with what I drive because then I know the health of the vehicle and can easier troubleshoot problems when things go wrong.

Okay

I agree.

So when you are going to sell your Cruiser, shoot me an email.

Once the rust repairs and odds/ends are fixed, it will be a $4-6K cruiser that is a no rust, no damage daily driver.

Exactly what I'm looking for.

Lowell

Haha. I don't have the kind of cash sitting around quite yet to get the body work fixed. I just bought it in August.

This is also to say that I don't really want to get rid of it yet. I love it. I've also put cash and time into some more "modern" bells and whistles like keyless entry and a true HID conversion. If I were to sell it for what it's worth including what I've put into it already, it'd already a 4k cruiser.

I plan to fix a few other detail-oriented things -- radio antenna, carpet the rear, find a jack and tire stuff for it (those are mysteriously gone...?), and a few other things -- before I do the body work anyway and that stuff is time dependent. Then it's on to locking diffs and more than likely new leaf springs. Oh, and I need to do the brakes and re-pack one of the bearings.

I guess I should figure out how much the body work will cost, huh?

Eureka

Guess what?

I found my Fj62 right in my backyard.

1988 FJ62
NEW transmission (5K miles on it)
No rust
No damage
Everything works
Same owner since 1990 and a super stand-up man. (Firefighter his whole life).

Bought for between $4-6k.

Couldn't be happier. Thanks!

Lowell

PS. I just ordered the rear shoulder belts to make it car-seat friendly.....

Lowell said:
Guess what?

I found my Fj62 right in my backyard.

1988 FJ62
NEW transmission (5K miles on it)
No rust
No damage
Everything works
Same owner since 1990 and a super stand-up man. (Firefighter his whole life).

Bought for between $4-6k.

Couldn't be happier. Thanks!

Lowell

PS. I just ordered the rear shoulder belts to make it car-seat friendly.....

Congrats!!! Now we need pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom