For Sale Westchester, NY - 1989 FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
Well, the time has come to list my beloved "Goldie".

>>(THE VERY VERY) SHORT VERSION<<
This is an AWESOME truck (172k miles on the dash) and I am sorely tempted to keep her. I have restored/upgraded everything that makes sense to me and she's a beauty and runs like a top. I'm asking $31,500 and have her listed locally. You can see a bunch of photos here. Here's the...

>>LONG VERSION<<
I purchased this 1989 FJ62 in "Beige Metallic” in September of '22 from a dealer in Tennessee based on pictures and description (I was not able to see her in person before purchase). She was my first 62 and I had previously restored a JDM BJ44 (yes, I regret selling it) and made minor upgrades to an FJ45 Troopy (that I still happily own) and currently have another 62 that I'm fussing with and will likely keep (I hope). The Tennessee dealer seemed like I nice enough guy but while the truck I purchased was meant to be an 8.5 (on the classic 10 point scale), what ultimately arrived in my driveway was probably closer to a 7...or a 6.5. Nothing malicious, I think he just overstressed the positive and understressed (ignored?) the negatives. The figurative bones were there but some interior cosmetics were rough and many small items did not work and the truck had not received any attention of any sort in many years.

The purpose of the truck for me was to enjoy it, upgrade it, and ultimately return it the wild (read: you) better that I received it and ready for someone to enjoy for many, many years to come. I will not make any profit on the sale of this but I consider the expense to be a course in the inner workings of the 62. I have cleaned, scrubbed, restored, and replaced dozens of bits/bolts/trim/pieces that won't see the light of day for another two decades (I'm looking at you interior channel of the "D" pillar vent) but it makes me happy that they're now in good working order. As you obviously know if you're on this forum, on any given day/drive there is no way to guarantee what happens with a truck that's 35 years old but I would happily drive this truck anywhere, anytime and I love each time I get in it and each time I do, it's harder for me to contemplate selling it. Great, now I'm getting sentimental. Onwards!

When I first received it, I had the brakes and engine reviewed and any belts/consumable parts/etc. were replaced and all fluids were flushed and replaced. The battery was brand new a year ago. In every instance I was able to or made sense, I replaced parts with Toyota OEM equipment. This was not possible or was financially ridiculous in several instances. When that was the case, I replaced it with the best version of what I could find.

Below is my assessment of the current status of the truck. I think it's relatively comprehensive and the photos should help you assess all the good (much) and the bad (very little). But before someone gets very worked up that there's no close-up photo of the rear driver's side bolt that's holding the last leg of the exhaust to the frame, don't flame this thread, just ask politely to have an additional photo taken or post a question. I'm happy to try and oblige.

In brief, you could pick this truck up today, turn the key, and rock the coolest classic truck in your town for many years to come. And if any of your friends don't like this truck, it's likely they are pod people and/or you should find new friends.

I think that's it for now. Thanks very much for looking and thanks to this forum for all the counsel over many years regarding all things Toyota!

The "Bad" (Again, here's a link to all the photos.)
  • There are various nicks on the body. I've tried to photo them all and the coins you see for size reference are all quarters;
  • The paint is generally in excellent condition with one exception (see the photo) where it's through the clear coat. You can see the $2 bill as reference and the area is on the hood seam/driver's front - don't ask me why that particularly spot was worn vs. others;
  • There is surface rust under the truck. Nothing I am concerned about and the only real rust passed to me by the previous owner (under the left heel of the driver) I had professionally repaired by a local shop focused on vintage Corvettes so they know their stuff;
  • Windows are a little slow. This is totally normal and a relatively easy "fix" but at some point I can't fix everything. I need to leave something for you to do;
  • The dash reads 172k (171k when I got it) but the Carfax says 256k. I don't know if this was a clerical error or some previous-owner shennanigans. I knew it when I purchased it and did not concern me.
The "Good" in no particular order ("Hey!" you're wondering, "Where's the link to all the photos?" You're in luck - it's right here!)
  • Brand new OEM antenna - works perfectly!
  • Brand new OEM battery tray
  • Brand new OEM front bumper;
  • Brand new OEM rear bumper;
  • Brand new seat covers from Cruiser Corps
  • Brand new headliner (sourced from IH8MUD vendor);
  • Brand new carpet throughout (sourced from IH8MUD vendor);
  • Custom Chilewich-brand marine flooring mats throughout;
  • Installed Kilmat beneath all-new carpeting;
  • Brand new OEM front windshield reservoir;
  • Brand new OEM front side marker lights and gaskets;
  • Brand new OEM rear license plate light;
  • New rear exterior “D” pillar vents (from Rust Farmers) to replace cracked originals;
  • Purchased/installed bottle jack;
  • Repaired fuel door release;
  • Replaced all missing roof chrome trim;
  • LED headlights (you can see at night now!);
  • New front “chrome” grille (OEM not available as far as I can tell);
  • Installed LED bulbs on interior lights and dash;
  • Repaired rear windshield washer;
  • Replaced rear tailgate pistons;
  • Replaced hood rod clip;
  • Restored center console;
  • Reconditioned all grab handles;
  • Purchased/installed reconditioned heater switch in center console;
  • Reconditioned rear access panels;
  • New e-brake handle (Rust Farmers - another great product)
  • New custom e-brake boot;
  • Tires and wheels are from previous owner with plenty of tread remaining: BF Goodrich Baja Champion LT265/70R17 on ProComp Alloy wheels.
  • Note: original, unmarred front-door speaker grilles (a rarity);
  • Note: drip rails (photos) are in excellent shape.

GoldieFJ62_ProfileCover.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, great looking rig. I was wondering who performed the mechanical work on the vehicle. Also located in NY looking for a reputable shop.

Hi, great looking rig. I was wondering who performed the mechanical work on the vehicle. Also located in NY looking for a reputable shop.
Hi! I didn't need any serious mechanical work but for the basic maintenance (fluids, brakes, belts, etc.), I used the Rye Brook Service Station @ 999 Boston Post Road, Rye. They own the Gulf Station down the street and warehouse vintage/beloved cars for private owners as well as having a serious selection of (primarily) vintage Corvettes. I imagine there are also some good shops in nearby Port Chester but I haven't dealt with any yet as we're relatively new to the area. Good luck!

Bump to note that I just replaced the starter with a Cruiser Corps starter. The old one was getting a little pokey but no more!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom