FJ62 auto brake adjuster question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do the adjusters work with park brake applications or reverse braking.

Parking brake. It ain't no chevy!

Thanks for the feed back

The reason I ask the question is to get an understanding of the brake mechanism .

When I was installing the new brake pads today I notice when I pulled on the E Brake lever attached to the pad it caused the adjuster cog to advance one click and every time I pulled on it the cam kept advancing one click.
So this is why I ask the question does the E Brake adjust the brakes there is no mention in my FSM on what action activates the auto adjuster it only mentions to adjust from the backing plate hole until drum wont turn and back off 5 clicks , except when reversing the adjuster cam it does not click to indicate 5 clicks on back off.

Also can someone tell me if I pull the Ebarke 20 times will the self adjuster keep adjusting until the pads bind up or is it design to stop adjusting at some point.

Last edited:
The adjustment action stops when the tension is less than the retraction pressure. It's actually a very good system, but it depends on your bellcranks being completely free. And when they corrode (which they easily do), not only does the ebrake function go away, but your rear brakes are soon out of adjustment and don't work. But it's a simple and elegant system with inexpensive adjuster parts. I wish it had carried on into the 80 series.

Thanks

I think that is where im at with my bell cranks I hear one side click when applying E brake so I will try to spray and clean the cranks so both sides function properly.

You may need to turn the adjuster by hand with a little screwdriver a couple turns to get it started so the ebrake can take over. Sometimes when you collapse the adjuster all the way down for a brake job or axle/diff work, the ebrake just won’t pull far enough to get the cog to the next tooth on that arm.

I think the bellcranks eventually seize up from not using the parking brake. If you use it every time the car is parked, the bellcranks will remain mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom