FJ62 88' not idling. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I'm young adult who recently inherited a FJ62 Landcruiser. In March of this year, I started noticing the idling was getting very weird, it was stumbling around 1-2k rpm, but never stalled. Last week I started it up to run an errand and it stalled out, won't idle at 1k or below. I have little to no knowledge of the engine in my truck, but I do know it's a 3F-E, and hasn't had engine issues before. It's been properly maintained. I just want to figure out if this is a known issue and can be fixed at home, or I need to get it to a mechanic. I already posted about it on reddit, but was told to come here. Several people mentioned it possibly being a vacuum line problem, and others said idle solenoid, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure dampers could be the issue. Thanks!! Love this truck, and I hate not driving it :(

Welcome to the Mudsanity. . .

Go to FAQ get the FSM do the diagnostic code reading off the under-hood fusebox.

The fuel pulsation damper may be the culprit here, there is a known issue with the tiny screw either missing or stripped and not holding pressure.

There is a wealth of info here, and we can help you out, if you are willing to do the work by narrowing down the symptoms.

Do some searches here on Mud, too - and start by checking ALL the air intake rubber hoses (large) from the air cleaner to the throttle body. A big crack in those will result in poor/no idle and a host of other issues.

Avoid any 'Brakes Plus' type places (if you get desperate) unless they have really good, old mechanics who have seen this era of truck. The average mechanic who cut his teeth on 1995-and-later OBDII vehicles will be bewildered and suggest you start replacing lots of expensive parts, rather than troubleshooting it. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) is your friend here.

Sounds good, I'll check out the rubber hose. I have a really good mechanic that I live near that specializes in Toyotas that I know personally. Thanks for the tip. I THOUGHT I had the FSM, but I have more of a 'learn what the buttons do on your dashboard and check oil level' type handbook... Searching on the internet right now for a FSM but not getting lucky.

Welcome to the Mudsanity. . .

Go to FAQ get the FSM do the diagnostic code reading off the under-hood fusebox.

The fuel pulsation damper may be the culprit here, there is a known issue with the tiny screw either missing or stripped and not holding pressure.

There is a wealth of info here, and we can help you out, if you are willing to do the work by narrowing down the symptoms.
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be around people know actually know something about my truck haha. I'm trying to find a FAQ on here, maybe I'm blind but I can't find it. I've also been searching for an FSM to no avail. I'll research the pulsation thingy, thanks for the tip.

Several forum members have the FSM link in their signatures, or try searching via googsl with( :ih8mud: 40-50-60 series manuals for a helluva price )

Several forum members have the FSM link in their signatures, or try searching via googsl with( :ih8mud: 40-50-60 series manuals for a helluva price )
Got one from one of the many friendly dudes on here, ya'll rock, thanks. Still preparing for troubleshooting.

The hoses from the air filter to the EFI are not cracked. Getting new battery tommorow and then i'll test the diagnostics. Until then I'm going research the fuel pulsation damper haha

Once you get a battery see if the check engine light comes on for sure, then read codes. First as others have said, check for vacuum leaks. Lots of old rubber hoses under the hood. Second check the TPS (throttle position sensor) as the FSM lays out. The idle air control valve can also be checked via the FSM. I do not think the fuel pulsation damper would cause a idle issue but it can leak fuel when its old.

Got a new battery. Revs to 1.5k, after 20 seconds dies down to around 1.2k and then dies completely. Potent smell of gasoline in the air. I'll try to check the TPS, but I can't find the description or information on it in the FSM. I'm not certain I have the right manual, I don't have one that directly says FJ62 Factory Service Manual, I have the Transmission, Chassis, and 3FE manual.

If you can smell fuel it is more likely the fuel pulsation dampener than the rubber vacuum hoses.

Mine went out and I smelled gas strongly. If it’s out you’ll see lines pulsing and smell gas. Use the FSM. It has good graphics.

or take it to your Toyota guy. The fuel system might not be the safest place to start wrenching.

You will likely need a 22mm crowsfoot wrench to get at it since its in a weird spot. Not hard to swap, just a tad awkward. Clean or replace the little metal gaskets that it uses as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom