fj60 overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help a 60 owner as he attempts to become more mechanically self sufficient......My 60 overheated badly, went into the red for 30 seconds or so before I could pull over. Steamed a little after I stopped and vented coolant. Do I worry about engine damage? Never had overheating problems before. Radiator is less than 1 year old. Belts/Hoses are good. How can I tell if the probem is the thermostat, waterpump or something else?

wait for it to cool down, then refill the radiator with water. Check for leaks.

If you've blow a hose, it'll be obvious. When mine overheated, it was becasue the tiny hose that you don't know about yet that sits behind your water pump burst.

Check your heater hoses, and your oil cooler (boxy thing on passenger side of block).

if it's your water pump, you'll notice leakage from the lower weep hole.

Thermostat - well, just replace that anyway.

Do a compression test to see if you've blown the ehad gasket. Usually, you'll be able to tell from the billowy white smoke pouring from your tail pipe.

good luck

Rob

I spent 4 weeks one time trying to find out why my j**p was overheating. I replaced everything in the cooling system only to find out it was my radiator cap which only cost $2.99. &nbsp:Dohhh!

check the leak issue, then change the cheap stuff....

radiator cap and thermostat.

Fill and test from there, and let us know what happened.

"instantaneous" overheats are usually a locked thermostat, busted hose, or a snapped rad cap. "easy" stuff...

White smoke constantly while running = head gasket, milky white oil (pull the dipstick) can also be that.

Go with the compression test. Any local mechanic should be able to do it for a minimal fee, if any fee at all. They can check the radiator cap too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the overheating incident. On my old FJ40, I overheated one winter night on the NJ Turnpike and didn't notice it for several miles. The shaft on the water pump sheared off! Replaced the pump & radiator (when the shaft broke, it drove the fan right into the radiator) and all was well.

BTW, I just replaced the radiator on my FJ62. Compression test showed a big leak around the bottom seal. Found a good deal on a radiator in Denver. They'll ship too.
Good luck.

Thanks for the help, I replaced the thermostat and it runs great. Easy job, but it was my first so I have a smile on my face!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom