Fj60 om617 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You ment to say om615 ya?
No, its a 616, the 615 was the earlier (and longer lived) 200 and 220d. But they are all good for 4-5 hundred thousand with reasonable care. I dont currently have a 615, I own a Mercedes shop, but you see VERY few of them anymore.

Well got the engine pulled out of the donor car

A7B88CD3-9D49-456A-9097-870A09DB3250.jpeg

So what does it take to turbo charge a 300D engine? Is it simply a manifold swap and turbo install or does it require a different injector pump etc?

The pump is definitely different. Has an LDA to sense boost and add more fuel (or technically restrict fuel until there's boost.). I believe there's internal upgrades on the turbo motor but that doesn't mean you can't turbo a NA motor.

The pump is definitely different. Has an LDA to sense boost and add more fuel (or technically restrict fuel until there's boost.). I believe there's internal upgrades on the turbo motor but that doesn't mean you can't turbo a NA motor.

so better off sourcing a turbo motor from the get go than a non turbo and trying to convert.

Definitely. Turbo motors around here on FB marketplace are $400-$800 depending.

So what does it take to turbo charge a 300D engine? Is it simply a manifold swap and turbo install or does it require a different injector pump etc?
There are a few differences, but the most important is the piston design. The turbo motors have a toroidal cavity in the piston, and oil sprayers shoot oil through that cavity. A good set of 617 turbo pistons are worth as much as the engine. Also the NA blocks aren’t plumbed for the oil sprayers. The turbo engine also have sodium filled exhaust valves. Just start with a turbo motor.

Interesting looking oil pan. Never seen one of these engines up close.

Found a nice engine diagram.

1613491276260.png

Probably the hardest repair to make on these engines would be replacing the rear crank seal if needed. Because it’s a staked rope seal. You’d have to lift the crank out of the bearings to replace the upper half, so hopefully yours isn’t leaking.

Probably the hardest repair to make on these engines would be replacing the rear crank seal if needed. Because it’s a staked rope seal. You’d have to lift the crank out of the bearings to replace the upper half, so hopefully yours isn’t leaking.
Oh yes thankfully mine is dry for now hopefully it stays that way lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom