FJ60 manual steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have only seen two versions of the steering box bolt pattern.

81-85 square pattern

and 85 to 80 series bolt pattern

Last edited:
I would stay with power steering...and even consider swapping over to a GM p/s pump.

yes you can drive a 60 with manual steering ...but why...?

When I was GI-Joe , I had a wonderful 1968 2.5 ton truck "duce-and-a-half" with dual rear axles (4 tires on each) plus a powered front axle (they called it 6*6 rather than 4 wheel drive) and where 4 wheel drive engaged via manual lever at TC, only in low range. Plus it had the optional heater... but it had manual steering. On the pavement the key was always have it rolling before trying to turn...off-road and in the mud...almost impossible to turn the wheel at times, and you have better keep both hands on the wheel when the tires "kicked back" through the steering linkage.

If I had power steering I would keep that...even though I consider the toyota more of power assisted steering rather than the more powerful GM style.. Swap over to a GM pump...but I dont' think you'll gain anything going to a manual steering especially off-road.

I had the pleasure of buying a brand new Toytat PS pump for my LC before the engine swap and even then the power steering assist is minimal compared to a GM pump. But I think the pump that was on the truck was most likely OEM and it was at least 20 years old at that point so you really can't gripe about that. The off-road part is what really give the p/s a work-out, and will give you a work-out with manual steering...you'll find that often times you can't make the turn or do what you want to do..except at a very slow speed or crawl in comparison to same truck with power steering.

If you're dead-set on doing this ...I would go drive someones truck with manual steering both off roand an on road before you jump off the cliff. I do think that a manual steering box steers with less effort than a powered steering box with the belt removed...not a good comparioson. Not a lot better but a little. I'd be willing to carry a spare pump and belt...long before I removed P/S of any vehicle I owned.

Last edited:
I just bought a 62 PS box for my 60 so I hope it bolts right up! My steering is wicked loose, probably because it has leaked so much for so long.

I just bought a 62 PS box for my 60 so I hope it bolts right up! My steering is wicked loose, probably because it has leaked so much for so long.

It should as it looks like the pattern was changed in 85. Look at your old bolt pattern. Is it a rectangle or is it offset (top holes aren't square to the bottom holes? 62 is offset and I think your 87 should be as well.

Tony

Agree, buy the change over kit. In the states, you can get parts and pumps a lot cheaper, and they are higher pressure too. Have had my box rebuilt, and have had 5 Autozone pumps over the last 10 years. Now they don't sell the one with the resivoir, so the warranty is useless. My steering has been "power assist" since i got this puppy.

It should as it looks like the pattern was changed in 85. Look at your old bolt pattern. Is it a rectangle or is it offset (top holes aren't square to the bottom holes? 62 is offset and I think your 87 should be as well.

Tony

It is offset, so they should bolt up. This thread is the first place I've read that there may be a difference between the late 60 and 62 patterns, but it looks like that was wrong. Thanks for the advice!

Okay, I figured I’d update this thread and shed some light on the mysterious FJ60 manual steering box. First off, Yes. They do exist. I had to source mine from BC and it took a bit of hunting to find one. They only come in the early square bolt pattern, so I had to modify the frame on my 88 62 to fit it. Haven’t driven it yet but I’ll post info when I do.

DAEE3F5A-3A17-40BB-A90B-3A3576B90ED8.jpeg

652C3B9D-D1BD-47C7-BF57-0B4DA1B5C8E5.jpeg

02838DCE-A011-49B0-88A0-7FAF932DF7DC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom