FJ60 Holley Sniper Conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve found that the “local cruiser shops” often hate the Snipers because they won’t get the proper adapters and such. It’s easier to slap a Weber on and send the bill.

Yeah, there is a good bit involved to getting the setup right. I can say for anyone in the Southeast, the guys @Trollhole are the real deal.

Glad you figured it out. I had the same feeling tracing down a surging idle issue on mine, but sadly the new O2 sensor wasn’t the only problem.

Because I was limited on time and had a new baby, I had paid a mechanic to install it on the side and it turns out he did a bad job (never again - I’ll either do it myself or pay the local cruiser shop). I ran down multiple issues and corrected them, but it was extremely frustrating along the way because it took a while to find the root cause.

For anyone who faces the same frustration, though, just keep eliminating issues (pressure, venting, vacuum, filters, pump, O2 sensor, tune) and you will find the problem (hopefully not a cracked head!).

Also, if there’s a good local cruiser shop, they can be extremely helpful - I ended up having mine check the setup and retune when I’d eliminated all of the other variables.

When you do get them running right, they run so great.
Oh yeah I feel your pain! I've been battling this for a year. Before changing the O2 sensor here’s everything I did to troubleshoot.

- replaced manifold gasket - twice
- remove PVC valve
- replace brake booster
- replaced all vacuum lines feeding sniper or manifold
- took to muffler shop to check for leaks
- took it to two separate mechanics to chase it down - no luck
- hired a guy to tune it as I troubleshoot the issues

Lesson learned. But good news is now with the new O2 sensor and a custom tune it runs better than ever. Just wish it didn’t take me a year to figure out.

Oh yeah I feel your pain! I've been battling this for a year. Before changing the O2 sensor here’s everything I did to troubleshoot.

- replaced manifold gasket - twice
- remove PVC valve
- replace brake booster
- replaced all vacuum lines feeding sniper or manifold
- took to muffler shop to check for leaks
- took it to two separate mechanics to chase it down - no luck
- hired a guy to tune it as I troubleshoot the issues

Lesson learned. But good news is now with the new O2 sensor and a custom tune it runs better than ever. Just wish it didn’t take me a year to figure out.

Yup, I've felt the pain. I think the worst part for me was that I thought I solved it a few times, only to have the issue pop back up.

But you're right: once you get it fixed and it runs well, there's no better feeling that going and out firing up your truck and hearing that healthy tractor-flavored purr of the trusty 2F.

Here's to dedication, and an extra O2 sensor in the glovebox ;) :beer:

I determined my issue is valves. I bought a spare head and dropped it off at the machine shop. Head checked out but needs seats, valves, springs likely the same things the one I'm running needs. I'll probably swap it out this fall when I feel like I can take it off the road for a couple weeks. If only the PO had kept up on valve lash adjustments. So, like my VW's, I'll be checking valve lash every oil change. I figure fine tuning is pointless until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom