FJ60 Holley Sniper Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, I was just going to replace my stock one as well but it seems they’re different sizes. I’m assuming I can go pick up a threaded adapter for it?
There a bunch of threads about this...but here's one that has a link to the adapter that I bought. However, in hindsight, I'm not sure if I used the right one. The adapter I have is tapered (BSPT), but I don't remember if the hole in the block was tapered or not. Either way, the one I bought is working and hasn't leaked.

Okay, I was just going to replace my stock one as well but it seems they’re different sizes. I’m assuming I can go pick up a threaded adapter for it?
Block drain

Okay I’m back, almost done with the install, but struggling to find a place to connect the pink ignition wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Okay I’m back, almost done with the install, but struggling to find a place to connect the pink ignition wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The wire that used to power your carb that’s in the middle of the firewall is a good switched 12v source

Like wngrog suggests. It’s the black wire with the white stripe. Not the green one.

I hooked mine to my coil +

Guys, I know this has been discussed a lot. Can any of you post a picture of your hoses from the cc that goes on the passenger side? My truck came with those 2 lines plugged.

Guys, I know this has been discussed a lot. Can any of you post a picture of your hoses from the cc that goes on the passenger side? My truck came with those 2 lines plugged.
I originally plumbed the CC to weak vacuum on the airfilter and it seemed to work well. However I had a situation where the canister got flooded by expanding fuel. I since routed vacuum to the IM.

Curious if other have had the same experience with the Sniper conversion on a 2F. Mine work well for about two years and since I have run in to a ton of issues.

First the O2 sensor went bad. Which isn’t the end of the world but costs $150.

Secondly, fuel mileage went down.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the idle has been surging when warmed up for the last year. I have done countless things to mitigate this with no success. Changed the manifold gasket twice, removed PVC vacuum line to the manifold (vent to atmosphere), had muffler shop check for exhaust leaks (none), replaced brake booster because of potential vacuum leak, hired a tuner for the sniper.

Any ideas are welcome but really missing the Carburetor at this point. I haven’t seen the upside of having the EFI on a stock motor.

Is the sniper really worth it?

Curious if other have had the same experience with the Sniper conversion on a 2F. Mine work well for about two years and since I have run in to a ton of issues.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the idle has been surging when warmed up for the last year. I have done countless things to mitigate this with no success. Changed the manifold gasket twice, removed PVC vacuum line to the manifold (vent to atmosphere), had muffler shop check for exhaust leaks (none), replaced brake booster because of potential vacuum leak, hired a tuner for the sniper.

Any ideas are welcome but really missing the Carburetor at this point. I haven’t seen the upside of having the EFI on a stock motor.

I have about 30 of them in service and everyone is happy. They may have a quirk or two but if you have done all of those things and you still have a problem then i would hate it too.

Of course with all I’ve done I’ve run into quite a few issues.

99% of them are due to a bad input from the engine telling it to do something bad.

One I had that did what you are describing ended up being a cracked head. The crack would open when the engine got hot and cause the Sniper to over fuel.

Was your tuner able to get it to replicate the surge? Datalog? The Holley forum was able to tell me mine was a massive vaccum leak when mine would over fuel. Once I eliminated all the possible vacuum leaks like you did I swapped in a new sniper and it did the same thing

Next I added a carburator and it did the same thing.

Thats when I realized it was something inside the motor leading us to finding the crack in the head.

I’ll say again, I probably have my hands in more 2F equipped snipers than anyone and overall it’s a great system but if you have a mechanical problem it will let you know a lot faster than a carburator will.

Most of mine get 10-12 mpg

O2s cost $80

This is great intel and it’s motivating to keep digging.

Thanks for the reply.

What I've deducted from experience, if you have uneven combustion in any cylinder, like a tight valve, worn valve seats etcetera, it will play havoc on the Sniper. The system is reliant on the O² sensor so even one cylinder not getting a good burn will make it hunt to balance the AFR. After a while it will soot up the O² sensor and give a lean reading while the Sniper keeps adding more fuel. I keep a spare Bosch unit on board along with a large GM style fuel filter. Also, with the high fuel pressure it easy to develop a leak right above the exhaust manifold so I keep a fire extinguisher right under the driver seat.

What I've deducted from experience, if you have uneven combustion in any cylinder, like a tight valve, worn valve seats etcetera, it will play havoc on the Sniper. The system is reliant on the O² sensor so even one cylinder not getting a good burn will make it hunt to balance the AFR. After a while it will soot up the O² sensor and give a lean reading while the Sniper keeps adding more fuel. I keep a spare Bosch unit on board along with a large GM style fuel filter. Also, with the high fuel pressure it easy to develop a leak right above the exhaust manifold so I keep a fire extinguisher right under the driver seat.

This is in fact exactly what was happening.

Replaced the O2 sensor (for the second time) and now everything is as it should be. Very thankful it wasn’t the head.

There is no greater feeling than figuring out an issue on your sh*t box after being stumped.

This is in fact exactly what was happening.

Replaced the O2 sensor (for the second time) and now everything is as it should be. Very thankful it wasn’t the head.

There is no greater feeling than figuring out an issue on your sh*t box after being stumped.
Glad you figured it out. I had the same feeling tracing down a surging idle issue on mine, but sadly the new O2 sensor wasn’t the only problem.

Because I was limited on time and had a new baby, I had paid a mechanic to install it on the side and it turns out he did a bad job (never again - I’ll either do it myself or pay the local cruiser shop). I ran down multiple issues and corrected them, but it was extremely frustrating along the way because it took a while to find the root cause.

For anyone who faces the same frustration, though, just keep eliminating issues (pressure, venting, vacuum, filters, pump, O2 sensor, tune) and you will find the problem (hopefully not a cracked head!).

Also, if there’s a good local cruiser shop, they can be extremely helpful - I ended up having mine check the setup and retune when I’d eliminated all of the other variables.

When you do get them running right, they run so great.

I’ve found that the “local cruiser shops” often hate the Snipers because they won’t get the proper adapters and such. It’s easier to slap a Weber on and send the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom