FJ60 Header advice needed. DIT. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently moved to a county that doesn’t require smog testing (yay!). For years I’ve been wanting to install headers on my 1986 FJ60, and now I can.

What I would really like are headers that allow the engine to breathe better, but aren’t loud. I mean, basic Land Cruiser, all-terrain tires and all are loud enough, I don’t need any more noise.

Can anybody recommend headers that are high-flow, but not high-noise?

Also, are ceramic coatings worth the cost for these?

Thanks in advance for any & all feedback.

I have these ceramic Manafres. Dnt seem load to me...but, TBH I have no clue what they actually do/dnt do. My rig has gone under so many changes Im not sure whats made what better. I love being in Clear Creek County with no Emissions...that I know!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @MoaByte Also has headers...he knows more im sure!!

1621143059013.png

Last edited:
Headers make only a small difference in performance on a 2F. They are not loud if you have a good muffler. The ceramic coating helps to make them last as headers tend to rust out quickly.
If I were to do it again, I'd use a 3F manifold instead. Honestly, IMHO the cost of a quality header would be better spent elsewhere. Just fix the exhaust leaks and route the tail pipe so it doesn't get pinched under the bumper. Maybe sell the cat before some tweaker hacksaws it off for you.

If you get a header, the Man-a-Fre ceramic is a good one. The flange is thicker than the intake flange so you will need to remedy that.

If you get a header, the Man-a-Fre ceramic is a good one. The flange is thicker than the intake flange so you will need to remedy that.
Well....atleast i bought a "good 1" lol.... Whats it suppose to do again?? Its nice + shiney :)

Just removing the catalytic converter will allow it to breathe plenty fine. You'll notice the improvement right away above 2000 rpm. I can't see headers really improving on that significantly

It makes your tractor into a racing tractor 😂
It works better with higher compression, bigger valves, etc, but a V8 is cheaper.
Whats it do tho lololol for real? **** if i know...but i get to say "Man a fre HEADERS" sounds manly....

An engine is basically an air pump, air/fuel in, spent gasses out. The easier your motor can do that, the more power you get. ... theoretically. The header helps to get the (mostly) spent gasses out.
The 2F is a great motor (for its day) for slow driving on bad roads, plenty of low-end torque, simple and reliable. It wasn't intended to be high performance.

An engine is basically an air pump, air/fuel in, spent gasses out. The easier your motor can do that, the more power you get. ... theoretically. The header helps to get the (mostly) spent gasses out.
The 2F is a great motor (for its day) for slow driving on bad roads, plenty of low-end torque, simple and reliable. It wasn't intended to be high performance.
So i wasted the $800....ive wasted more and not as shiney lol

So i wasted the $800....ive wasted more and not as shiney lol
It seems like a good way to go when desmogging for the Sniper. I'd say mine has a little more pep climbing hills and pulling into traffic. Probably helps get those 33" tires rolling too. Gas mileage didn't improve at all, actually a little worse. Best I've gotten since is 13.3 mpg. Best before was 14.7.

I've had my Manafre headers for 5 years. The coating is still there and still looks fine. They still put out a lot of heat. Yes, I definitely feel a performance boost. Already had the Manafre RV cam.

Fj62 exhaust manifolds will be similar performance gain at a fraction of the cost.
Now ya tell me.... :flipoff2: acket rcvd. ty

It’s too bad the 2H head never got revised for use on the 2F given its crossflow design. Ive actually seen propane conversion kits for some Diesel engines where a special spark plug goes in the glow plug hole. But I think in this case it would be a lot of effort in the wrong direction.

point of the above is that for power a crossflow head would be good. See the 1fzfe.

Put the ceramic Manafre 6-1 headers on my '84 FJ60 about 20 years ago, still rust free and no leaks! I feel (imagine?) that it makes for a free-er flowing engine. The fluid heat riser is needed though for cold climates, that can be a source of radiator juice leaks.

To be honest, the main reason I went with a header is I got tired of chasing all the leaks on the stock set up. As far as quality, it appears there are only two people who make them and the Man it aint frees are superior ,albeit twice the price.

To be honest, the main reason I went with a header is I got tired of chasing all the leaks on the stock set up. As far as quality, it appears there are only two people who make them and the Man it aint frees are superior ,albeit twice the price.

SOR makes a comparable ceramic coated set that I've heard good things about. While the MAF seem to be slightly more recommended, they also run RIGHT next to the PS lines, which is concerning. I believe they were designed for a 2F in a 40 where this isnt an issue.

Put the ceramic Manafre 6-1 headers on my '84 FJ60 about 20 years ago, still rust free and no leaks! I feel (imagine?) that it makes for a free-er flowing engine. The fluid heat riser is needed though for cold climates, that can be a source of radiator juice leaks.
how does a header address this cold climate issue? where's the heat riser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom