FJ60 Fuel Tank Removal with Photos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I have had to drop my tank twice (replaced it the second time), I figured I'd take some photos to help out anyone else that has to do this in the future. I'll post a link to a video too once I have the video posted.

Hope this helps someone else.

Attachments

• FJ60 Tank Removal Instructions.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 769
Here's a photo of the old tank removed - it shows all 8 fuel line connections that have to be removed.

FJ60 Tank - connections 2.jpg

Wow. Amazing step by step tutorial. Curious, as to why you had to drop your tank twice? I have to do this this weekend and this came right on time. Thank you.

For those doing this in your driveway, I was unable to slide out from under the cruiser with the tank on my chest at stock height (top of the tank was hitting my hitch at least maybe frame). Had to wiggle out from under the tank first which was unpleasant... Recommended you get a friend to help put it back in or some extra long bolts to get the straps on the tank started, I had a hard time getting the straps started by myself

For those doing this in your driveway, I was unable to slide out from under the cruiser with the tank on my chest at stock height (top of the tank was hitting my hitch at least maybe frame). Had to wiggle out from under the tank first which was unpleasant... Recommended you get a friend to help put it back in or some extra long bolts to get the straps on the tank started, I had a hard time getting the straps started by myself
Good advice. As I was underneath my 84 FJ60, I noticed how my flat my leaf springs were. I have to shop around eventually for something else. Were 7&8 lines hard to get off?

Last edited:
Good advice. As I was underneath my 84 FJ60, I noticed how my flat my leaf springs were. I have to shop around eventually for something else. Were 7&8 lines hard to get off?
I used some seperator pliers and replaced all the hoses, mine were really crusty, 1 busted knuckle

So here is a pic of after blowing line and draining it. I do not see any rust in the tank...
20210203_161130.jpg

Wow. Amazing step by step tutorial. Curious, as to why you had to drop your tank twice? I have to do this this weekend and this came right on time. Thank you.
I had to drop twice but about a year apart. The first time, I had a leak from the gasket at the fuel pickup so I changed the gasket. At the time, I didn't realize how rusty my tank was so a year later I dropped the tank and ended up replacing it because it was so rusty and clogging my fuel filter.

Good point - I have an OME Lift and am just able to scoot out from under it with the tank on my chest.

In my case, none of the lines were hard to get off, I was able to pull them all off by hand, including releasing the hose clamps by hand.

How did your tank removal go?

In my case, none of the lines were hard to get off, I was able to pull them all off by hand, including releasing the hose clamps by hand.

How did your tank removal go?
It went pretty simple but the spare tire cross member was a PITA! Your tip about tilting the tank to one side after your take the 4 hinge bolts was a great tip..thanks!. The removal went well for one person. That was a recall take back in 95, so it was dirty but I hardly had any rust but a lot of Ethanol contamination inside. My Eastwood Gas Sealer tank kit comes in today. BTW, my filler hose turn into plastic, it was that hard so I ordered a new one from the dealership. $67.28 including tax. Wow!

It went pretty simple but the spare tire cross member was a PITA! Your tip about tilting the tank to one side after your take the 4 hinge bolts was a great tip..thanks!. The removal went well for one person. That was a recall take back in 95, so it was dirty but I hardly had any rust but a lot of Ethanol contamination inside. My Eastwood Gas Sealer tank kit comes in today. BTW, my filler hose turn into plastic, it was that hard so I ordered a new one from the dealership. $67.28 including tax. Wow!
Funny, mine was super hard almost like a plastic and I just assumed it was a different material so I left it...maybe I should replace it.

Let me know when your new fill hose comes in, if it's a softer/pliable rubber vs rigid.

Funny, mine was super hard almost like a plastic and I just assumed it was a different material so I left it...maybe I should replace it.

Let me know when your new fill hose comes in, if it's a softer/pliable rubber vs rigid.
I picked it up yesterday (77213-60030) and yes...it was soft/piable rubber. Someone recommended to replace it if feels like plastic

Yikes! You could have bought a generic filler hose from the box stores and cut it to length for 1/3 the price. But OEM is never a bad move...

Thank you for this write up. I have an 83 FJ60 that Im trying to mechanically restore. it hasnt run in years. anyone know if there is a way to clean the tank without having to remove it? I was going to drain it and then put a new filter on, but is it possible to pour a solvent in and then drain?

Thank you for this write up. I have an 83 FJ60 that Im trying to mechanically restore. it hasnt run in years. anyone know if there is a way to clean the tank without having to remove it? I was going to drain it and then put a new filter on, but is it possible to pour a solvent in and then drain?
The problem is you need to be able to slosh your solution around to get it everywhere and really get things cleaned out. Trying to mess with the tank while it’s still in the truck... you’re cruisin’ for s bruisin’... you really want to make sure all the fuel vapors are evacuated before you start messing with it. If you’re going through the trouble of cleaning it you might as well refresh the sealer inside it as well. Eastwood sells several products to do this job.

Dropping the tank really isn’t that bad. Especially if you’re planning to clean and restore it. Just pull it so you have enough room to work and inspect things properly and safely.

The problem is you need to be able to slosh your solution around to get it everywhere and really get things cleaned out. Trying to mess with the tank while it’s still in the truck... you’re cruisin’ for s bruisin’... you really want to make sure all the fuel vapors are evacuated before you start messing with it. If you’re going through the trouble of cleaning it you might as well refresh the sealer inside it as well. Eastwood sells several products to do this job.

Dropping the tank really isn’t that bad. Especially if you’re planning to clean and restore it. Just pull it so you have enough room to work and inspect things properly and safely.
I would recommend doing it before it gets cold not like me doing when its cold and using a heater. Eastwood does recommend not to go below a certain temp. I know I have a piece of mind after doing it and I havent had any starting issues since. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom