fj60 engine upgrade question. gen v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
found a good deal on a wrecked 2014 gen v 5.3 with a little over 40k miles. has anyone done one of these with the stock 4 speed and transfer case? couldn't find anything on the gen v on here unless im searching it incorrectly. and didn't see an adapter from aa for the gen v.

I also am considering a 6bt with nv4500 as I have a truck our company bought new and ran for 300k miles then it was parked. seems like a lot of guys on here say its to heavy and seems like if I remember correctly you have to do a soa axle swap or something due to clearance.

thanks

You might give Advance adapters a call and see if they have anything or if one of their current adapters is close

Was curious and came across this thread which details some differences between LT and LS transmissions and mountings. Have you considered using a transmission that easily bolts to the engine you have and then find an adapter for the toyota transfer case?

Thinking like SM456 or NV4500?

Last edited:
You might give Advance adapters a call and see if they have anything or if one of their current adapters is close

Was curious and came across this thread which details some differences between LT and LS transmissions and mountings. Have you considered using a transmission that easily bolts to the engine you have and then find an adapter for the toyota transfer case?

Thinking like SM456 or NV4500?

hey that is a great thought. I actually have two nv4500 from dodge work trucks that we have owned. I need to ck with the guy that does our transmission work again and see if it can be changed to work with the chevy engine. I also have a h55f but have not been able to out source the bearings and top plate and shifter for it. I have it tore down to rebuild but not finding all the parts the tranny guy says I need.

This truck is a little ways from me....but is running a Chevy 305, a NP465 transmission, and a 205 transfer case with the stock Fj60 axles. 1985 FJ60 project

So not exactly the engine you are considering but maybe some more insight into the transfer case options

found a good deal on a wrecked 2014 gen v 5.3 with a little over 40k miles. has anyone done one of these with the stock 4 speed and transfer case? couldn't find anything on the gen v on here unless im searching it incorrectly. and didn't see an adapter from aa for the gen v.

I also am considering a 6bt with nv4500 as I have a truck our company bought new and ran for 300k miles then it was parked. seems like a lot of guys on here say its to heavy and seems like if I remember correctly you have to do a soa axle swap or something due to clearance.

thanks

I love my 6BT / NV4500 conversion but it isn't for everybody. SOA or similar lift is required unless you do a custom oil pan. With over 30k miles on it my front end is in good shape. More power than you need, 20+ mpg, and no more chasing vacuum leaks.

The 5.3 is a great engine but I prefer the diesel without the electronics.

I love my 6BT / NV4500 conversion but it isn't for everybody. SOA or similar lift is required unless you do a custom oil pan. With over 30k miles on it my front end is in good shape. More power than you need, 20+ mpg, and no more chasing vacuum leaks.

The 5.3 is a great engine but I prefer the diesel without the electronics.
did you do the conversion on the 6bt and nv4500? any idea what the approx. cost is for the adapter needed for this setup? and my nv4500 is 2wd but seems like the transmission guy said he could convert it fairly easily.

2014 is pretty new for around here. Advanced Adapters will have the adapter for the 4 speed if anyone does - and it should be the same. Do you have other questions about the Gen V. I know the programming is very different than the Gen III that most of us have used.

not sure about your post (OP) but why not consider the matching GM auto transmission that mates to the 5.3. I assume your reference to stock 4 speed is a referral to the manual Toyota 4 speed. If you were to marry the v8 to the stock manual 4 speed I think you would find that you would want an OD, which you don't have.

2014 is pretty new for around here. Advanced Adapters will have the adapter for the 4 speed if anyone does - and it should be the same. Do you have other questions about the Gen V. I know the programming is very different than the Gen III that most of us have used.
I think I will either pursue the 6bt option or look for a gen 3 engine. the gen v I found just seemed like a pretty good buy with the low mileage but it may create more issues then it is worth.

not sure about your post (OP) but why not consider the matching GM auto transmission that mates to the 5.3. I assume your reference to stock 4 speed is a referral to the manual Toyota 4 speed. If you were to marry the v8 to the stock manual 4 speed I think you would find that you would want an OD, which you don't have.
true. I am sure not opposed to an automatic just wasn't sure how big a deal it was to change the inside shifter. im sure the clutch pedal can just be removed and maybe I could see how others have done the shifter setup for the gm auto.

It's not that hard to do the auto, but it's not insignificant either. What trans does it have? The 6 speeds are great. I assume you're not in a state requiring smog compliance?

It's not that hard to do the auto, but it's not insignificant either. What trans does it have? The 6 speeds are great. I assume you're not in a state requiring smog compliance?
the 5.3 im looking at doesn't have a transmission with it but if I go that route and do auto I would probably look for the 6 speed that came in the 2014 truck with the original engine. in texas and I have it registered with antique plates so I don't even have to do an inspection to get it tagged.

Make sure that the motor and trans you purchase are compatible, not all motors work with all transmissions. Do some research on the trans you choose to use as many create clearance issues with the trans pan. The LS3 C&C crate package comes with the 4L65E and I've had no issues clearing the drive line with that trans. No complaints yet on wishing they'd gone with more gears. I am putting that trans in my wife's 80 with a pull out 5.3 and my own 62, hopefully with a LS3 C&C. AA has the proper adapter for this trans to a split case.

If you are set on a manual I'd steer clear of the Yota boxes and go with an NV4500. Advanced Adapters has what you need to make it all work.

Good luck with your swap!

did you do the conversion on the 6bt and nv4500? any idea what the approx. cost is for the adapter needed for this setup? and my nv4500 is 2wd but seems like the transmission guy said he could convert it fairly easily.

I sent my FJ60, a parts FJ60 that I bought wrecked, the 6BT and 2 NV4500's to Classic Cruisers in CO. Micah out there is making the 6BT conversion his mission but they do other swaps also. Think the adaptor was in the range of $1200 but not sure.

I'm pretty sure my NV4500 came out of a 2WD truck. Seems like it needed a different bell housing but the guts of the transmission should be same.

Here is a link to the build. FJ-60 diesel conversion

I sent my FJ60, a parts FJ60 that I bought wrecked, the 6BT and 2 NV4500's to Classic Cruisers in CO. Micah out there is making the 6BT conversion his mission but they do other swaps also. Think the adaptor was in the range of $1200 but not sure.

I'm pretty sure my NV4500 came out of a 2WD truck. Seems like it needed a different bell housing but the guts of the transmission should be same.

Here is a link to the build. FJ-60 diesel conversion
cool I will check out the link. I have yet to decide between gas and the diesel but am excited to see your build to help make up my mind.

cool I will check out the link. I have yet to decide between gas and the diesel but am excited to see your build to help make up my mind.

I've talked with several guys about the 5.3 swap and had looked into a 350 swap several years back. The 5.9 Cummins is hard to beat in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom