FJ60 diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first post here but have been lurking for awhile. I have enjoyed the information on this site.

Bought my stock 1985 FJ60 in 1998 from TLC4X4. Plus side of a California vehicle is no rust, down side is California emissions. After being a reliable daily driver / hunting & fishing vehicle for many years one day it wouldn't start. Life events at the time compelled me to pull it out of the way and let it sit. Finally got around to working on it this year and got it running again but the vacuum hose nightmare was getting to me.

Enter a 1991 Dodge 3/4 ton with a 12V Cummins that I inherited. My grandparents bought it new and it's been in the family since. I have used it as a farm truck for several years and the engine has less than 200k on it but the truck has been falling apart around the engine. After considering repair costs of about $5k on the Dodge and frustration with my FJ emissions I started looking for a way to stuff the 12V in my Cruiser.

This sight led me to a contact for the conversion. The finished Cruiser will have a 2" lift, 12V Cummins, NV4500 transmission, and 17" Pro Comp steel wheels with BFG MT's. Needless to say I'm anxious to see the finished product.

Tried to upload a pic of the Cruiser before the conversion but keep getting an error. Tried the upload file button but just get an error message.

Thanks for a great website with a lot of information and if I figure out how to post a picture I will do so.

Last edited:
Looking forward to pictures!! The VE 6BT is a lot of engine for the FJ60 platform, looking forward to seeing some videos as well :D

Looking forward to pictures!! The VE 6BT is a lot of engine for the FJ60 platform, looking forward to seeing some videos as well :D

IMG_0096.JPG

Who is putting this truck together?

How are you going to achieve only a 2" lift with the 6BT? It's a very tall engine that typically requires a SOA to make work.

Who is putting this truck together?

How are you going to achieve only a 2" lift with the 6BT? It's a very tall engine that typically requires a SOA to make work.

Lift is actually OME 2.5" with added leaf for the weight of the 6BT. Classic Cruisers is doing the conversion. The guy doing it has done a few FJ80's and measured a 60 to see if it would fit. I'm kind of a guinea pig but decided to take the chance for my version of the ultimate cruiser.

2", 2.5", same thing. I'm assuming he's building a custom oil pan and sump to clear the front axle because even SOA, you can have oil pan clearance issues to the driveshaft. Make sure to keep us updated!

2", 2.5", same thing. I'm assuming he's building a custom oil pan and sump to clear the front axle because even SOA, you can have oil pan clearance issues to the driveshaft. Make sure to keep us updated!

I will update as the project goes on. It may take further mods than first plans indicate - time will tell. My only complaints with my FJ60 were cold natured, little power, and mpg. This should fix all of that.

keeping the stock rear axle .. ?

Yes but I had a wrecked 1984 FJ60 for parts. Shipped it to Classic Cruisers as part of the deal so you can contact them to see if they are parting it out. All the damage was in the front so it should be fine. I bought it wrecked and never drove it.

I don't think @Tapage was inquiring about the rear axle just wondering if you are going to run it with your set up the 6bt has a ton of torque could definitely grenade the rear end. Good luck on the build man.[/QUOTE

Maybe I misunderstood. The remaining drivetrain will stay stock for now. I think the way I use the FJ it should last.

I don't think @Tapage was inquiring about the rear axle just wondering if you are going to run it with your set up the 6bt has a ton of torque could definitely grenade the rear end. Good luck on the build man.

This !

Project has started. After further measurements it is going to be a SOA lift to accommodate the engine and tires to avoid a custom oil pan and fender trimming. The lift should be around 5". May add a leaf in the front to support the engine.

Project has started. After further measurements it is going to be a SOA lift to accommodate the engine and tires to avoid a custom oil pan and fender trimming. The lift should be around 5". May add a leaf in the front to support the engine.

:rolleyes:

What springs are you using?

I am foreseeing many broken front springs

The 6BT is much heavier than the 2F, which is why Matt said that. It's something that you're going to have to play by ear, or right off the bat move to a heavier duty spring like a FJ60 rear spring, or something else entirely.

I've had issues breaking FJ60 front springs with my 4BT. Since moving to FJ60 rear springs up front, no issues.

The 6BT is much heavier than the 2F, which is why Matt said that. It's something that you're going to have to play by ear, or right off the bat move to a heavier duty spring like a FJ60 rear spring, or something else entirely.

I've had issues breaking FJ60 front springs with my 4BT. Since moving to FJ60 rear springs up front, no issues.

Thanks. Do you think adding a leaf to the front would be enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom