Fj60 diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great job, the rig looks great! Now comes the rest of the build ;)

The OME for the 40 is suppose to give about 2.5" of lift. Don't think I got that much with the weight of the 6.5 but I did get some. I had to take one leaf out of the rear to get it somewhat level. 2 add a leaf and OME heavy will be way to much in my opinion.

Put my OME springs under last night with both add a leafs and the flattened out nicely. Unfortunately that shackle laid right back on top of the springs. Picked up some shackles today that are 3 inches longer I'm hoping they do the trick. If not I am going to have to cut the mounts off which is not going to be fun. I did read my motor is 1100 pounds and the two add a leafs combined make a total and 500 pounds extra load capacity. Im hoping these dont wear out quick and break. On the bright side my injectors just showed up today

Did a little screwing around with shackles. 1 inch longer in the front and 2 inches in the rear did the trick nicely. Runs awesome with new injectors. Now time for some pump magic

20160507_163343.jpg

20160507_163354.jpg

After driving around for a week straight with it I have noticed a extreme lack of power in the motor lots of smoke. Time for the turbo to light. High egts, and short power band. After some messing around I found someone had turned my fuel screw up to border line running away. I turned it back down near stock which solved the egts and narrow Power band along with excessive smoke. But I am only pulling 5 pounds of boost now. I'm at a loss being in stock form it should light the stock turbo 15-20 pounds, which all turned up could hit 15 once in awhile. Im swapping out to a turbo with a smaller compressor housing but I can't seem to think something is screwed up not to be able to boost the stock (or so I think) turbo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Check for boost leaks, a simple plug (PVC caps from Home Depot) that fits your air intake with an air fitting drilled and taped will do, run shop air and use soapy water to look for bubbles. You’ll be amazed at what is leaking, I thought I had all my clamps as tight as needed but every one leaked until I tested and tightened under pressure.

Once you’re certain you have no air leaks check your waste gate to confirm it’s closing all the way without obstruction and set to open just before your desired boost #.

Edit to add, looking at your startup vid if you're still running standard hose clamps on your boost piping that would be suspect. I run the T-bolt style clamps tight as hell and three turns past that to stop all my leaks.

Last edited:
I didnt even think about that on my boost line. I will try new hose clamps and tube. As for waste gate its a non waste gated turbo. A boost leak makes to most sense I will keep the results updated! Thanks!

I think a stock 6.5 runs at 8-10 pounds of boost stock IIRC. Mine only sees about 5-6 pounds with my foot into it but not at wot.

How's the noise level in your 60 running the 6.5? Your 60 might have a little more padding then my 40 but noise level in mine is to the point of almost wanting to switch back to a gasser. Worst spot for me is at idle. Need to play around with the timing and idle speed to see if I can stop it from shaking my fillings out.

After driving around for a week straight with it I have noticed a extreme lack of power in the motor lots of smoke. Time for the turbo to light. High egts, and short power band. After some messing around I found someone had turned my fuel screw up to border line running away. I turned it back down near stock which solved the egts and narrow Power band along with excessive smoke. But I am only pulling 5 pounds of boost now. I'm at a loss being in stock form it should light the stock turbo 15-20 pounds, which all turned up could hit 15 once in awhile. Im swapping out to a turbo with a smaller compressor housing but I can't seem to think something is screwed up not to be able to boost the stock (or so I think) turbo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Something's not right..
How'd you make our with boost leaks?
My Fuso pops the blowoff valve at 15psi in every gear if I ask it to. No smoke.
Keep digging, you'll figure it out.

Replaced my one boost line I have. Turbo looks like it's a stock turbo still have the same results. I have a few people thinking it's my turbo is too big to spool. I have other people thinking the ve injection pump needs to be pulled and gone through to make sure there is no issues. I'm leaning towards turbo, being I have plenty of fuel and it runs awesome just no boost. Im close to being at a loss with this issue

Kcustom. I never actually drove or finished the 6.5 swap. About 85 percent done I pulled it out for a 5.9 cummins to go in. And its less noisy then my dodge. Doing 75 we can converse with our inside voices no issues haha

If you think someone's been in your pump before and you dove in and turned down the fuel, then play with timing before you go pulling the pump for sure.

If you think someone's been in your pump before and you dove in and turned down the fuel, then play with timing before you go pulling the pump for sure.
Timing is set in stock location, luckily I don't have to guess on the because I set it on the stock hash marks when I built the motor

Bought a fuel pin, gov spring and rebuild kit today. Hopefully I don't screw up and this does the trick. Wish me luck!

All the fun parts are installed. I run out of revs before boost. Night and day difference!

what is the best transfer and pedal assembly to used on an NV4500? I want to do a 5.9 cummins swap. 88 FJ62 automatic, stock diffs, spring over and 33s.

Stock diffs, the easiest route would be for you to get the advance adapters tail housing to mate the NV4500 to the toyota split case.

Pedal assembly should be sourced from a FJ60 because it bolts in.

Hey Guys. I haven't posted on here for awhile, life has been a roller coaster! In the past months my power issue has been figured out. But I have been having T case troubles. Running a np241c and two months the case decided to give of its ghost and stretched the chain pretty good. Went through and rebuilt the whole thing. And everything has been great, finally took it out wheeling Saturday and gave it a bit of a torture test which resulted in the bolts that mate it to the trans stripped the threads and pulled out which ended up with the t case separating. Long story short I have a second case I can throw all the good stuff into but I am sick and tired of dealing with a 241. So my question do you think I should throw another one back in or just go with a 205 and deal with the terrible gearing. An atlas is getting ordered in a few months but until then I would like something that would be a well rounded t case

If you're going to order an atlas anyway, throw in the spare 241 and don't romp on it until the atlas gets here :D

I was actually curious what trans and the case you are running now. Is your rear drive shaft short and steep as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom