FJ60 Back up light switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My backup lights have never worked since I've gotten my FJ60 on the road a couple months ago. I thought maybe both bulbs had burned out, but I replaced them with new 1156 bulbs and they still no worky... I am wondering if anyone knows the location of the backup light switch that is listed on the wiring diagram... I am wondering if the switch is not connected or not getting power. All fuses are good.
thanks

The swith seems to be mounted on the top of the transmission near the front end of the transmission. However, there is a connector that is generally located on top, accessible from the passenger side. There is also a 4WD switch. Check to make sure the plugs are not interchanged.

Depending on how many contorsionist classes you have had it is sometimes easiest to remove the transfer case shifter knob. Then the four bolts which hold the boot down and slide the boot up and off the shifter. From the passenger side you can use a flashlight to look toward the center of the vehicle on top of the tranny. There you will find the reverse light switch. If you have to replace it pull the one nut that holds the transfer case shifter and cotter pin and remove the shifter.

The wiring for the reverse light is in the same loom on the passenger frame rail as the 4WD indicator switch. Look it over to see of it looks intact. You can also view the wiring along the top of the tranny from the transfer case shifter hole inthe floor board.

As a side note if you are a retired wrestler or pro football player you may not be able to fit your hand through the transfer case shifter hole inthe floorboard.

Old thread I found while searching my problem. I pulled my 4wd boot off today and found the most likely reason my backup lights don’t work. The wires don’t attach to the backup light switch. I feel like this is a crucial bit. So I’ll be ordering a new switch.

My backup lights have never worked since I've gotten my FJ60 on the road a couple months ago. I thought maybe both bulbs had burned out, but I replaced them with new 1156 bulbs and they still no worky... I am wondering if anyone knows the location of the backup light switch that is listed on the wiring diagram... I am wondering if the switch is not connected or not getting power. All fuses are good.
thanks

thanks

Don't know what trans u have ?

but Nevertheless this should help either way , I get into the Switch Wiring , Routing , Zip-tying a , going into the frame rail a bit too

How to Make SST 09817-16011 ( Special Service Tool ) For H55F Back-UP Switch Use & more ......

@Seth S

I have a 4 speed and the switch sits on top of the transmission. I have not looked to see if the switch is accessible from the main shifter access area but based on the thread above it sounds like it’s not.

thanks
I changed mine today and have a few photos. Just take off your 4WD housing and screw off the shifter knob. From there you have to get in under and loosen the existing reverse light switch. 27mm crescent wrench and just turn maybe 1/4 of the way then you should be able to loosen it by hand after that. Make sure to disconnect the wiring as it makes it easier to turn and get the switch out. From there just put the new one in and reconnect the wiring and you are good to go.

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom