FJ60 2f diagnosis/advice, life sucks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would bet that the engine was rebuilt - but all the accessories are the same ones that were on there before - PS pump, Alt., Smog Pump, etc.

If the smog pump took a dump, it can clog the air pipes into the exhaust, which may raise back pressure and if the belt is seized could account for the idling problems, smoke, and stink.

Low oil may not be related. These truck are like tanks, and pretty much run inspite of any abuse. I would focus on the accessories and Smog system first, then work my way into the engine if that is not the problem.

M

x10000 on something frozen up or trying to freeze up.

Thanks for the input everyone. Smog pump was indeed the issue so full points for those who selected that answer.

I found a toy pick-up last night and snapped it up so I am going to sell this '85 FJ60. The smog pump is being replaced as I speak along with the belt. I am going to list it for $3500 OBO in the For Sale forum sometime this weekend with pics. You all have first crack at it.

New radiator, rebuilt engine, oil pan, alternator, clutch. Before we finally decided the heat riser gask was the problem we had purchased a new EGR pipe but have not yet installed it. I did not get the chance to service the axles.

It has been my daily driver, I bought it off a car lot a few years ago, stock except for CD player, front seat covers and a non-working cruise control mechanism.

Everything else works. I have original owners manual, 2f engine manual and emmisions manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom