FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I have had nothing but problems since putting on the stock emissions and carb. on my '83 60. With my Weber everything was golden. No worries though, with everyones help I'll get through this too.

I filled up the power steering res. this summer with automatic transmission oil (old fact that it's dual purpose) and of course it's red. So lately I have a red fluid drip, it has to be the power steering. But I've checked around the res. and the pressure tube and return house connections but they are dry. The red fluid flows around the timing cover and then drips right smack dap at the bottom of the block. So it starts some where around the water pump area but I can't for the life of me find the source. The fan blows it around too, there is some splatter on my oil filter. Does anyone have any idea's where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Even not knowing what kind of PS set up do you have, I would guess that pump itself is leaking. I put HJ60 PS to my pig and first time I fired up the engine and turned the steering wheel it spilled ATF all over the shop. Reason was a bad main shaft seal. Got a new one from general "hydraulic and stuff" shop for about five $ and fixed the leak.

Power Steering leaking?

Sorry my friend, it's an FJ60 with stock power steering. I'll feel the pump again but I think it's all dry. So I was wondering where else it could leak from?

it could be a pinhole leak in a line, a j**p cherrokie i worked ona while bake had this same problem but if lines are dry i got no clue

My pump didn`t leak when engine idled, only when steering was in full lock in either way and pressure in pump increased. So it might help if you get somebody to turn the steering wheel and search for leak then. My pump also looked almost dry because it was leaking from behind the pulley an it spilled the fluid all over when spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom