FJ45 from Central America :: No VIN Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie alert ... I'm an engineer who has worked in the automotive industry and been an enthusiast since before I could drive (first JDM rally cars, then 90s Land Rovers... have family roots in car collecting and British car restoration).

I got hooked on FJs while driving a custom land rover camper (pretty cool if you want to see it at @roverlife on insta) through Central America.

I am currently looking at bringing a 1983 FJ45 from Central America to restore and use personally. I just checked the truck out... runs great, roof needs to be replaced, bed looks like it was swapped for a newer model at one point, expected amount of chassis rust, body in good shape but has been resprayed, title papers color matches respray. But the big concern is not finding a VIN/constructor's plate. I've attached photos of what I could find but it looks to be only the engine serial. I need to get through these issues before okay'ing the purchase. Any insights? I'm assuming it wouldn't be legal to have a VIN plate made to match the title paperwork...

7e3cdab3-3d1b-4ef1-8999-dc58a244e676.JPG

f715df4c-fbc9-44bf-b8be-22f08d9aba4b.JPG

6d624f3c-290d-4344-98e1-02342810b0ac.JPG

ac490fd1-8871-4f7b-8bf9-8ac2a06d0979.JPG

The frame stamp is technically your legal vin, so you don’t need the plate, & lots of dmv’s won’t check a non windshield plate anyway. Beyond that, yeah you can have them replicated. Search on here for vintageteqparts.com if I recall correctly. I don’t know how he does it, but Matt is the guy you need!

The frame stamp is technically your legal vin, so you don’t need the plate, & lots of dmv’s won’t check a non windshield plate anyway. Beyond that, yeah you can have them replicated. Search on here for vintageteqparts.com if I recall correctly. I don’t know how he does it, but Matt is the guy you need!
Appreciate this info! Will direct CBP to the frame stamp if there are any issues, thanks!

I think that's a wise decision, too big of a headache for an importation. Also, given my experience with Central & South American Cruisers, lots of "Frankencruiser" issues to deal with, you might want to find a 70 series instead (1996 and older now legal for import).

I think that's a wise decision, too big of a headache for an importation. Also, given my experience with Central & South American Cruisers, lots of "Frankencruiser" issues to deal with, you might want to find a 70 series instead (1996 and older now legal for import).
Found a couple troopies I'm looking into ... dig the 90's rigs as well and definitely finding a lot of Frankencruisers in the mix. Plus a lot of bad paint jobs... at least they've probably prevented rust over the years, but will cost a bit to do a proper re-spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom