FJ45 from Central America :: No VIN Plate (1 Viewer)

Newbie alert ... I'm an engineer who has worked in the automotive industry and been an enthusiast since before I could drive (first JDM rally cars, then 90s Land Rovers... have family roots in car collecting and British car restoration).

I got hooked on FJs while driving a custom land rover camper (pretty cool if you want to see it at @roverlife on insta) through Central America.

I am currently looking at bringing a 1983 FJ45 from Central America to restore and use personally. I just checked the truck out... runs great, roof needs to be replaced, bed looks like it was swapped for a newer model at one point, expected amount of chassis rust, body in good shape but has been resprayed, title papers color matches respray. But the big concern is not finding a VIN/constructor's plate. I've attached photos of what I could find but it looks to be only the engine serial. I need to get through these issues before okay'ing the purchase. Any insights? I'm assuming it wouldn't be legal to have a VIN plate made to match the title paperwork...

7e3cdab3-3d1b-4ef1-8999-dc58a244e676.JPG

f715df4c-fbc9-44bf-b8be-22f08d9aba4b.JPG

6d624f3c-290d-4344-98e1-02342810b0ac.JPG

ac490fd1-8871-4f7b-8bf9-8ac2a06d0979.JPG

The frame stamp is technically your legal vin, so you don’t need the plate, & lots of dmv’s won’t check a non windshield plate anyway. Beyond that, yeah you can have them replicated. Search on here for vintageteqparts.com if I recall correctly. I don’t know how he does it, but Matt is the guy you need!

The frame stamp is technically your legal vin, so you don’t need the plate, & lots of dmv’s won’t check a non windshield plate anyway. Beyond that, yeah you can have them replicated. Search on here for vintageteqparts.com if I recall correctly. I don’t know how he does it, but Matt is the guy you need!
Appreciate this info! Will direct CBP to the frame stamp if there are any issues, thanks!

I think that's a wise decision, too big of a headache for an importation. Also, given my experience with Central & South American Cruisers, lots of "Frankencruiser" issues to deal with, you might want to find a 70 series instead (1996 and older now legal for import).

I think that's a wise decision, too big of a headache for an importation. Also, given my experience with Central & South American Cruisers, lots of "Frankencruiser" issues to deal with, you might want to find a 70 series instead (1996 and older now legal for import).
Found a couple troopies I'm looking into ... dig the 90's rigs as well and definitely finding a lot of Frankencruisers in the mix. Plus a lot of bad paint jobs... at least they've probably prevented rust over the years, but will cost a bit to do a proper re-spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom