Fj40 value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looking locally at a 1972 with a pretty great body and frame....lowest rust I've seen in a while. Known: Carburetor is off, gas tank is rusted, no fluid in radiator, no battery, needs x 4 tires. Last ran in ~2003. Engine will just under 100,000 miles.

Got some good and some bad (all the unknows). Guy I'm dealing with is a good guy, but not sure if he's far off on his pricing.

Estimated value? I want to make a fair offer.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431402111.306386.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431402124.074815.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431402135.430448.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431402146.903062.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431402180.170571.jpg

Do you have interior, undercarriage and engine bay pics?
Original drive train?
Rear wheel wells have been cut and lots of unknowns. I would assume the worst with mechanicals.
It'd say no more than $3k

I wouldn't offer even that much

I'd gladly pay 3 grand......just to have one again. He's at over double that on his cash desired....

Drive train and motor are original. 3 speed correct for the year. No knowledge on the 4wd system. F155 engine. Engine bay okay....forgot to take frame and engine pics but really minimal on the rust. Frames in good shape....better than or as good as my 62.....currently.

Needs about 2 grand of work to getting semi road worry again to my estimate. He must be looking at fully restored EBay prices.

Oh well....keepin up the search. Limited, very limited, selection in Louisiana.....sigh..

Thanks

Guy really not sure if he wants to sell and he's not a motivated seller...I guess it'll stay in his barn for now. Will revisit later this summer.

Forgot to mention missing driver door glass.......vent and main glass and Lt. Rear hardtop corner window.....
So add another 750 supplies and labor to get it semi-road worthy......

It's such a gamble not knowing condition of engine, tranny, clutch, etc. plus how are the brakes, do the knuckles need to rebuilt, how is the exhaust and cracks in manifold? Any of those or combination can get pricey quickly.

non-running for more than 10 years - 'nough said :rolleyes: - add the banged up fender, lots of other little things even just in those few pics . . . not to speak of the brakes or wiring . . .

it's a total crapshoot, no matter how rare these trucks are in this here Louisiana - your estimate of 2K to get it roadworthy is wildly off as far as I can see
come to think of it, I could help you get the price down by going along as the "bad cop" :idea: :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Will try the wait out game......suspect he may sell at a more reasonable price at a later date.

Still reviving my FJ62 and playing with the LX470. So I'm never too bored. Probably would be spreading it too thin with a 40 rusting in the back yard.....still out of the 40 club.

Thanks for all the input...everyone confirmed all my thoughts....buy with the wallet....not emotions.

Todd H.

Ouch. I got mine for less than 3, and I was able to test drive it! Granted, it needed a few grand worth of work, but I had a good foundation.

Guy's not a cruiser guy......bad cop routine won't work.......also he was immune to Jedi mid tricks.....I tried....

Thanks for the offer!

Keep looking. The right one is out there somewhere. Among the other problems you can encounter when a rig has been sitting that long is serious rust on all the gears above the oil level. I've hauled quite a few diffs, transmissions and t-case to the scrap yard over the years.

Ouch. I got mine for less than 3, and I was able to test drive it! Granted, it needed a few grand worth of work, but I had a good foundation.

You got all the good 40 over there. Slim pickings here unless you have trailer and willing to travel.....

I was pumped to find one 8 mile from my house....its a plus....but not worth the perceived cost of the owner..

Patience is a virtue for sure ... I looked for a year, bought one from the other side of the country, checked it out with a good Cruiser-Head (who I paid) and still found surprises ... 40's with good bones are out there and it sounds like you're patient ... good luck with the search ...

Its really all in what you are looing for. The problem with this rig is the unknowns. If he put a carb on it and a battery in it, it started right up and ran, it would be worth what he is asking. It loos complete from what I can see and finding an original with all the seats etc... is a plus. The unknowns are the killer for your deal.

I wouldn't offer even that much

Me neither; keep looking. That will be a money pit. Besides that, it has drum brakes all 'round, coarse-spline birfs, three-speed; all things I would want to change/upgrade.

You are not seeing it from the seller side.... He sees 50,000 to 100000 restored , so , for a decent platform to start with, 7k is low. A person puts 20,000 into it and gets a nice profit.

no rust=$$ mechanicals can be fixed w/new or used and probably not too bad. Looks like it was a driver until it was parked. Any cheap used 40+ yea old vehicle will need a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom