Fj40 Stretch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I previously built up a FJ40 and found myself with lots of extra sheetmetal. These parts followed me from my previous house in Milwaukee to North Carolina regardless if that making any sense. Once in NC, I stumbled upon another FJ40 body with a rusted out frame for $300. and later when on the look for a frame that I could use to build up another 40. I found another frame, but the deal included a tub. Well after seeing all the parts lying around I decided to embark on the adventure of creating a stretched FJ40 with a FJ45LWB or Troopy wheelbase. I was looking for something I could fit the entire family in since getting rid of my FJ55. It looked like I had a lot of extra parts that could work together. It also helped that FJ Company recently posted their latest four door build that had my head spinning.

I started by separating the tub and frame to see what I was working with. The other rusted out frame would serve as a donor for the stretch and I would use sheetmatal parts from both tubs and leftover parts from the first Fj40 build. Time to get to work...

IMG_7519.jpeg
IMG_7520.jpeg
IMG_7517.jpeg
IMG_7522.jpeg
IMG_E7523.JPG

I welded in some supports and bracing in font of and behind where I planned my cut. After studying the FJ45lwb and fj40 frame diagrams I calculated that I would want 26" added in the middle of the frame and then additional length behind the spring perches. No turning back now.

IMG_7524.jpeg
IMG_7525.jpeg
IMG_7526.jpeg
IMG_7527.jpeg
IMG_7536.jpeg

I cut the 26" frame sections out of the rusty frame and took out the rivets on the inner supports so I could access the backside of the weld seam as well. I will be rebuilding this inner support section and boxing the frame eventually. I squared everything up and welded in the new frame sections. I had to throw some wheels on the frame before I boxed the frame just to compare it to my stock Fj40. Keep in mind this does not have the additional length at the end of the frame yet.

IMG_7537.jpeg
IMG_7542.jpeg
IMG_7560.jpeg
IMG_7564.jpeg
IMG_7566.jpeg

Now the extension at the end of the frame begins. I popped out the rivets that hold the rear bumper and cross bracing in and mocked things up with some tube to take some measurements. Then I cut some 16" sections to weld in at the proper position so that the rear bumper is used again. I'll need to make some longer cross bracing to add a bit more triangulation which I have yet to do here. I also have a crossmember to weld in where the stock bumper was and where spring mounts are, but it's slowly coming together.

IMG_7570.jpeg
IMG_7571.jpeg
IMG_7574.jpeg
IMG_7578.jpeg
IMG_7582.jpeg

Really nice work. Movin quick. :popcorn:

Very nice sheet metal work.

Nice work man! Looking forward to more progress pictures!

This is a great build thread. I am in the middle of a similar FJ40 stretch and it is great to see what you are doing. We did our frames virtually the same way but I am doing a FJ45 SWB pickup so I installed a shorter section in the middle. I did fishplate the extensions but I suspect that is coming next for yours. I look forward to your updates. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I plan on doing fish plates. I would love to see what you're doing. I just found a donor top and extra doors today, so I hope to update soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom