fj40 snorkel question??

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 74cruiserintexas, Jan 14, 2003.

1. 74cruiserintexas

74cruiserintexas

I am wanting a snorkel for my 74 fj40 with F motor. My question is.... &nbsp:Do the snorkels use the existing air cleaner assembly or do the snorkels come with a new air cleaner integrated into them?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING ONE. CHECK SOME TECH SITES AND JUST MAKE ONE.

3. 74cruzah

74cruzah

If you are using a safari snorkel you can make it work. It comes with a lot more hose than you need, and you will need to modify the inlet end of the airbox and clamp it down tight. not a big deal. Hardest part for me was cutting into the metal for the first time. Oh, you will also need to relocate a couple of things a little lower on your inner wheel well in order to make room for the snorkel.

4. darkman

darkman

Hello:

I think that you will find that any snorkle that you purchase will be quite expensive and will require a considerable amount of modification in order to make it work and look good.

A home made snorkle will be much less expensive and is exptemely easy to make. Mine is made from light-weight seamless pipe, a Tracel intake hose, a lenght of rad hose from a detriot diesel engine and the top off the intake from an old air compressor. Including the pipe bending, this snorkel cost me about $22.

It actually looks and works excellent .... email me if you would like a picture at adsum30@hotmail.com

Mike

5. 74cruiserintexas

74cruiserintexas

That snorkel does look good. I am a metal man myself, so I could get some 3 inch light weight steel pipe and mandrel bend it and have an all steel unit. I am also thinking about finding an air filter box off a tractor that uses the very large air filters and can be located anywhere that you want.

6. bjowett

bjowett

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.