Wanted FJ40 Power Steering Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should definitely run some sort of a Ps cooler. Your PS pump generates fluid pressure. A byproduct of pressure is ALWAYS heat. You have to have a way to dissipate that heat and keep the system cool. Otherwise, you will drastically reduce life expectancy of the pump and box.

You will have to shorten your power steering column, not the steering linkage. The power steering box is an inch and a half longer ( towards the firewall ) than the mechanical box.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

PS: we have a couple of 40 series power steering boxes in stock as well. Both left and right hand drive.
Thanks for then response. I don't know which direction I am going to go with regarding the PS cooler. Sounds like you could buy the tubing and bend your own or buy an aftermarket an mount it at the radiator. How involved is it to cut the steering shaft down. I could probably remove it, provided it doesn't take any special tools, but would probably take it to a machine shop to cut it. I'll check out your website, regarding PS boxes. What sort of cost range would I be looking at for a FJ40 LHD?

I don't know which direction I am going to go with regarding the PS cooler. Sounds like you could buy the tubing and bend your own or buy an aftermarket an mount it at the radiator.

I used a 4' piece of prefab 3/8" brake line, and cut off the ferrules, which left the flares behind that hold the soft return line. I bent this line into a tight flat oval and mounted it behind the driver's side headlight on my FJ40, with standoffs. It has worked well for many years and keeps the PS system cool. Because it's solid line, I feel that it's more durable than any finned cooler would be.

I don't know which direction I am going to go with regarding the PS cooler. Sounds like you could buy the tubing and bend your own or buy an aftermarket an mount it at the radiator.

I used a 4' piece of prefab 3/8" brake line, and cut off the ferrules, which left the flares behind that hold the soft return line. I bent this line into a tight flat oval and mounted it behind the driver's side headlight on my FJ40, with standoffs. It has worked well for many years and keeps the PS system cool. Because it's solid line, I feel that it's more durable than any finned cooler would be.
Thanks Steve. Sounds Like I may end up doing something similar.

I probably have everything you need. What engine are you running? I have pump, box, and mounting braket. Do you have the pulleys?
After doing more research, it looks like the Power Steering boxes may be slightly different. I think Specter (SOR) lists different gearboxes for 1979-1980,1980-1981, 1981-1984. Not sure what the differences are, Maybe the spine on the box that mates with the rag joint? Sounds like the mounting is the same. Just want to make sure before I commit to cutting the steering shaft to accommodate the difference in length.

Ok I have a ps box available. Sounds like you have mostly everything else. Yes, you can buy some SS hard lines and build a pressure/cooler line and run it along the frame and underneath the radiator to the PS pump. The flex houses with fittings are available at your local auto parts store.

Yes " living in the past " is giving you good advice if your rig was not a PS spec to begin with. You will need to shorter your column. There are threads on this. Or find a used one.
How difficult is it to find a 1979 steering shaft/column PS option. I might consider the option of purchasing one instead of cutting mine to accommodate the new PS box.

How difficult is it to find a 1979 steering shaft/column PS option.

Basically, impossible (at least in the past). Most people shim up their current column and find a way to make it work. To me, this is the least worrisome part of a PS conversion. Wait until you're all done and then see how much 'too long' your current steering shaft is.

Are you sure? The 1979 FJ40 was the first offer power steering was an option. From what I have been able to determine, the Power steering gear box will mount directly to the existing manual steering bracket. The steering rod/rag joint lines up with the new power steering gear box to couple the two together.

So, I can't speak to a 79 specifically, but I did not have to shorten my 1982 manual steering column to install a factory fj40 steering box.

Video evidence here:

So, I can't speak to a 79 specifically, but I did not have to shorten my 1982 manual steering column to install a factory fj40 steering box.

Video evidence here:

Is that the collapsable steering column? My understanding was even the collapsable column that later models had still needed shortening.

Is that the collapsable steering column? My understanding was even the collapsable column that later models had still needed shortening.
Thanks, I watched that video multiple time. Good documentary on how to change from manual to Power Steering. My 1979 does not have a collapsable steering column so I think the fit would be different. However, maybe if I swapped my steering column to a collapsable steering one, it might fit. I think there is one more fly in the ointment, and that is the connection at the firewall. The 1979 is different from the 1981-1984. Thanks!

Th
How difficult is it to find a 1979 steering shaft/column PS option.

Basically, impossible (at least in the past). Most people shim up their current column and find a way to make it work. To me, this is the least worrisome part of a PS conversion. Wait until you're all done and then see how much 'too long' your current steering shaft is.
Thanks, I think I'll take that advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom